Abs Bimini frame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2008
Macgregor V25 -
I haven't tried it, but my wife and I were just talking about doing it. I was considering using 1/2 or 3/4 inch pvc, but was wondering how I was going to anchor it to the side of the boat. I am also concerned about how much it's going to be flopping around in a heavy breeze.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
unstabilized ABS is bad in UV situations. IMHO I don't think plastic in any form is rigid enough for bimini frames.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
We like to make everything we can ourselves and considered making a frame and bimini, but then bought both....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/outside-10.html

..........and were glad we did. I don't think we would of saved much and I'm sure it wouldn't of fit as nice and making the patterns and such would of been difficult.

I've done a lot of plumbing over the years with PVC and ABS and feel the ABS might be strong enough, but in my opinion too flexible to work well in windy conditions, which you are looking for with a sailboat.

Good luck with your project,

Sum

Oct 24, 2008
Macgregor 25 (1984) Wildomar, So. Cal.
Just thought I'd put my "two cents" in here...
I would imagine that if PVC or ABS was strong and durable enough a material that someone out there (maufacturer) would have already implemented it by now. But perhaps there's a way with some aluminum tubing and a bending tool you could fabricate something? and you might find the joint/adapter pieces online for a cheap price...

Sep 29, 2008
Macgregor V25 -
Has anyone tried the bimini kit from Rochford Supply? It seems like a lot better option then the plastic tubing. At $117 you can't go wrong, if it works okay.

Krantz

May 30, 2009
2 26s Toronto
Thanks for input but I think I will try with ABS and see how it works. I plan to use 1 1/2" for 4 vertical legs and short sides, and 2" for the 8' width. At the very least I can use it as a mock-up and experiment before spending big $'s on a proper bimini.
Sumner, yours looks nice and adjustable fore and aft. I am going to make something higher so I can stand in cockpit under it - 5' legs.

Krantz

May 30, 2009
2 26s Toronto
Probably will interfere with boom. Plan to raise boom so it won't clunk my skull or bimini. The sail will only be reefed size which decreases speed but I can live with a slower boat and the ability to stand up and not hit noggin on boom or bimini. Maybe I am dreaming but at least with abs it will be an inexpensive lesson about my crazy ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.