About to join the family

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Macgregor 26S Sherwood Park, Alberta
Dad and I just sold our beach cat in preparation for making the move to a 26S and lucky for us there are four specimens near enough to consider at the moment. The thing is they are all kitted out very differently from each other and I'm wondering if someone can help us determine those things on our list of "hopes" that can be undertaken when we get the boat vs. those things we might be better off trying to find a boat with it already set up.

Dad and I are both handy with most all things mechanical and electrical including most rigging tasks.

Our list includes:
- Roller Furling Genoa/Jib
- Spinnaker
- Lazy Jacks
- Stern Rail & lifelines connected
- Bimini
- Pop Top Cover
- On-board audio (Radio/CD/iPod etc.)

Wishes but not needs:
- Rail mount BBQ
- Traveler setup

Boat will be sailed 98% of the time on inland freshwater lakes in light to moderate winds.

My thought is that if a boat is missing some of our "list" we can factor in the cost it'd take to do it ourselves, add that to the cost of the boat and decide if that is a number we're comfortable spending. Based on photos thus far I have a feeling we'll be seeing a very well kept boat (clean, clean, clean) that's just not fitted out how we'd hope.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom, looking forward to many many family memories on the MacGregor.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Welcome aboard Macboy,

I also moved on to a Mac from a beach cat (Hobie 18).

All the items on your list are quite doable depending on your skill level. With that in mind I'd start with the items that would be most costly and/or hard to find. After that you only need to consider your personal priorities. I'd probably order the list as numbered below:

3 - Roller Furling Genoa/Jib
5 - Spinnaker
9 - Lazy Jacks
1 - Stern Rail & lifelines connected
6 - Bimini
2 - Pop Top Cover
8 - On-board audio (Radio/CD/iPod etc.)

Wishes but not needs:
7 - Rail mount BBQ
4 - Traveler setup

I'm sure your order will be different because everyone has a different set of priorities.

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
That helps. Thanks!

If we opt for a boat not fitted with a RF headsail, how do we determine what to budget for - a Genoa vs a Jib?

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
That helps. Thanks!

If we opt for a boat not fitted with a RF headsail, how do we determine what to budget for - a Genoa vs a Jib?
Without a roller furler you'll likely want both the jib and the genoa. If you can only get one I'd recommend getting a jib first. A genoa will help you go faster in light air but will be uncontrollable in havey air. The jib will allow you to sail either way.

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Sorry, I meant, if we opt for a boat without the roller curler and then buy one, how do we decide which should we buy - a Genoa I assume? Or does it depend on normal wind conditions for our area? Can both RF Genoa and RF Jibs be run partially furled? I've read that for single handing the Roller Furled head sail is a must.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Welcome to the Mac club. The Mac 26S is a nice boat. (A few seconds slower in the mile than the 26D though... I'm bias.)
Your list looks fine to me. I would go for the genoa with a furler. That's just my personal preference. For cost... Start here: http://shop.macgregorowners.com/detail-sails.htm?cart=1407565627855919&bid=2010&next=2
Price around at different lofts. You should have an idea of what weight cloth you would prefer so you get prices on the same materials between lofts.
Sailright.com has fair prices too and is made on this continent. You can save a few bucks by shopping off shore as well.
If you can't find a boat with a poptop cover check the boat info area at the top of the page for a pattern. (I think I posted one... If not PM me and I'll post it.) They are pretty easy to make.

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
If single handed sailing is likely, I would move lazy jacks up on the list