About to get my 1-st Mac...:O)

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mac666

Hey-All ! I just found a MacGregor 22 (1978) on internet...looks like a good deal, but I really have not seen the boat. Going to look at it next week. Are there any particular "soft"spots that I should look for on a Mac 22 of this age? what is the most abused part? keel? What are the Mac22's weak spots? Any pointers to a "Just_about_to_become_a Mac_22_owner" :O) ??? Any input is appreciated!!! Thanks! doktorpalka@mail.ru

D

Dale Wilkins

Not quite a 22...

My Mac is a 25, but I think some of the same things apply. Look at the keel bolt and make sure it is in good condition (losing a keel is not a fun option). Also, all of the stanchions and stays should not have any fiberglass issues where they are bolted in (cracks, "spider webs," etc.). Check your stays and make sure the cable is all in good condition. The wiring for nav lights is also susceptible to issues. I don't have a trailer for mine (it is in a slip at the lake), but I would check the ball bearings, tires, and hitch on the trailer.

M

Mac666

Thanks, Dale!

Dale, Thanks! I appreciate your answer! More input is welcome from ALL. Once I get the boat, will post some pix. Alex P.S. I'm looking for a slip on lake Michigan near Chicago for next season...if anyone knows of any good and inexpensive marina within a 100 miles radius, please let me know!

G

Gregg D

A great boat

Well I hope you get it. I have an 1980 Mac 25, and it is great. Look at the keel, and the any SS parts on the boat. I have redone all of the wood parts on my boat, and it is looking good. I would go under the cock pit on a sunny day and see what kind of light is showing through. Make sure if you have any through-hull fittings that they are sealed well. I didn't have any, but I see where there are some hull repairs, but whoever did them, did a great job. I didn't haev any soft spots. It is pretty good boat. Normal checking in the fiberglass is normal on a boat of that age, so I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as they are not too large. Make sure the sails are in good shape, because a new main is over $800. Cables are always a good thing to check, and lines also should be looked at. Happy Sailing ~~~~ _/)~~

May 18, 2004
- - Baltimore
Its all about the keel

For 1978 you will have a solid cast iron keel rather than the older welded plates with fglass covering, so you are already ahead. And it will be easy to examine its condition if the boat is out of the water. The keel is about the only irreplacable part of the boat, but other problems would of course cost money, time and effort. Along with the keel, the pivot pin, its holes (where it goes thru the fiberglass) and the entire case (keel slot) should be examined for damage and signs of stress. A bent pin should be replaced (not difficult). Often the holes get elongated with years of wear. Because the area is fiberglass, its fixable but involves removing the keel. The keel winch and its wire for lifting the keel are important, but very replaceable. As with any boat, look for hull problems like blisters, delamination and major cracks. The hull is thin but well made. If its on a trailer, some flexing near the bunkbeds is frequent, but should disappear in the water. The rubrail and deck/hull joint are obvious areas to examine for damage. Some minor gelcoat crazing is to be expected around the deck fixtures. The rig can cost money to fix, so take a good look. Problems with the mast may be a deal killer, but other things are replaceable. Wires that are kinked or have fish hooks need to be replaced. In fact, it's advisable to replace all the rigging at this age or at least do tests for invisible corrosion. As someone said, sails are expensive so good ones are a plus. Originals may be nearing the end of their life unless they haven't seen much use. Used sails are an option here. The rudder should be the original kickup design; its condition will say something about how careful the owners were. Its another unique item but I understand there are places that can supply them. Wiring was always rather pathetic so plan to do some upgrades. If there is the sliding galley cabinet, dump it. Plan on buying a new portable head (who wants someones old one). Extra equipment is great, but usually too funky to keep unless the PO took good care. Good luck, they are a really fun boat.

M

Mac666

I thank U

Great input, guys, thanks a lot for such detailed reply, John! Best regards to ALL! Happy Thanksgiving !

Status
Not open for further replies.