About to buy Catalina/Capri 18 but.......*yks

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

Hello all, been a fan of this forum for awhile. I may be buying a Capri 18 with trailer soon but desperately need two "real world" pieces of information. 1) Can a sloop rigged capri 18 (2' draft, 2000lbs disp) be launched/rigged single handed? and 2) can a Capri 18 on a trailer fit (height) in a two car garage? ANY feedback would be much appreciated!!!! Thank you all. Tom

T

Tom Baker

Capri 18

I own a Capri/Catalina 18 and have been very happy with it as the choice for our first boat. It can be rigged by one person easily if the mast is up. Still possible w/ the mast down, but best to find someone to at least help you step the mast. As far as fitting into your garage, the mast is 23' 2" long. So, I guess it depends on the depth of your garage. Can't tell you how high the boat sits on the trailer, which was really your second question.

T

Tom

Thanks for input!

This will be my family's first boat as well. I've been sailing on and off for about 8 yrs mostly on larger boats (25'-27'), and now wish to purchase a safe trailerable boat that could be sailed/rigged/launched by one person. I've heard it can be difficult to launch from the trailer and requires a very steep ramp, any thoughts? Thanks again for the feedback!! -Tom

D

Dave M

Easy to rig!! But measure carefully

Tom: I have a newer C-18, and have rigged/derigged by myself many times, starting/ending with the mast down. I do have a mast raising system (much like the Macgregor system, uses baby stays and a gin pole attached to the base of the mast), but I only use it about half the time. The rest I just heave it up. Easier with help if you don't use the mast raiser. I should note that I also have roller furling, so the weight of the genoa on the furler adds a good bit to the load you need to lift. As far as height, I don't think it will go under a standard garage door. The lifeline stantions are about 7'2" on mine. Measure carefully. Also, as Tom B. mentioned, the mast is longer than most standard garages, and the boat/trailer package is considerably more than 18'. A thought, if you can handle the length, I have a friend can fit his into a standard garage door by taking the wheels off the trailer and sitting it on a very low slung dolly he built just for this. Its quite a project, he only does it for winter storage - it wouldn't work for every day type stuff. Anyway, enjoy. My wife and I love ours, sail more than we ever did on our larger boat, and are really happy with how comfortable it is for overnighting. Ask away if you have other questions.

D

Dave M

I forgot

Sorry, didn't answer all your question(s). It can be launched easily by one person, at least the newer ones can. My trailer has about a six foot tongue extension built in, so with that out, I can just back in 'till it is barely floating, and walk it off. Same in reverse for retrieval - just float it on, hook it up, and winch it tight. Takes longer to write it than to do it. I do have to wade a little when I'm by myself - with help, I can stay dry (and this time of year here in Denver, I wear waiders). Just a thought - the Capri 16 is just a little smaller all the way around, so if your biggest concern is the garage fit, you may want to look at them. Potential problem is that there aren't many of them out there - I have only ever seen one, brand new, at the local dealer. Again, ask away with anything else.

T

Tom

Thanks Dave

Thanks for the input....it helps! The capri 18 I'm hoping to buy is a 1987 model. To your knowledge, are there any common problem areas to look out for. I'm not planning a professional survey due to the relatively low sale price. I'll check the deck, stanchions, and life line areas for soft spots and the hull for blistering. Are there capri specific problem areas I should check? The boat apparently has been sailed each season. Thanks again.

D

Dave M

I'm not aware of specific problem areas...

Hey - no problem, glad to help. I'm not aware of any consistent problem areas with these boats. They are really fairly straight forward, very durable. I have seen some with a little star cracking around the fuel locker edges - nothing structural, and not much concern. You might want to check out the Capri/Catalina National Association site, there are some good articles there, and someone might know of specifics for that year. http://www.catalina18.net/

M

Mike Moyers

rigging single handed is easy

I have a Catalina Capri, shoal draft keel, hull #1. Have owned it a little over 10-years and most of the time single hand sail it. Even when others go along I still like to step the mast and rig it myself. First time out it will help to have someone help raise the mast and attach the forestay pin. Later you can figure out some helpful stuff that you can make yourself to support single handing the whole mast stepping, rigging business. I made a mast crutch that fits into the rudder gudgeons and has a 5" roller on the top. It's long enough that the mast clears cabin when attached to mast step and laying on crutch. With this I can attach and detach the mast myself, me lifting the mast step end and rolling the other end ourward or inward on the crutch roller. I also adopted someone else's idea of attaching a couple of springs (roughly 6" x 1" and 90# strength) to the loose end of the forestay , and hooking this to the trailer winch line, and cranking up the slack between there and the bow pulpit to tension the forestay with the mast still down and laying on the crutch. The tensioned springs give a tremendous assist in lifting (grunting up) the mast (you don't need this as one person can grunt up the mast, but what a help this is). As it goes up the assist goes from lots to none as forestay slacks. Mast up but still unstayed requires you to hang on to the jib halyard and walk forward to tie off the halyard on the bow pulpit. Then you can pin the forestay, untie the jib halyard and your are mast up. The going forward with the Jib halyard is a bit scary the first time or two, but confidence builds over a few tries. Can help keep the mast up during this maneuver by first disconnecting trailer and cranking trailer jack down to lowest level, tips boat bow down and slightly leans mast forward. Playing with springs is not without risk, so be alert to the rig and be careful. I attached a pully to the top center of the bow pulpit to get a better angle on the tensioned trailer winch line/forestay connection for mast raising. About getting the Capri 18 in the garage...forget it. Probably more than you wanted. Have enjoyed my Capri 18 for years. Thinking about moving to a San Juan 21 (only older boats available, a challenge). May have my Capri 18 for sale later this winter or spring. Good luck!

M

Mike Moyers

launching single handed

Forgot to mention single handed launching. Like someone else responed, you can expect to do some wading to get to the wench both launching and retreving. Launching I tie a 20' line to the trailer winch post, back trailer into the water until boat floats or almost floats, hit the brakes and watch her slide off. Avoid a real yank on the line by backing SLOWLY. Retrieving, I made a couple of 6' guide stakes and attached them to the trailer fenders with 90-degree angle brackets. This does a better job of guiding boat onto trailer on steep ramps than do the keel guide boards. I also always retrieve using two 20' lines attached one each to bow and to stern. It's amazing how much control you have over the boat this way. Pull her forward by tugging on the stern line while steering with the bow line. You'll get the hang of it after a couple of tries. Can ever "sail" her onto the trailer this way if some breeze to use the hull as a sail surface. Try it sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.