About to buy a 26X, a few questions

Jan 1, 2019
Catalina 25 Granite Bay
I got a new 2002 26 X based upon the interior and found it sucked for sailing and motor boating! Loved the interior but that was about the only thing I liked . I sold it after owning it for two years ! Take one out before you buy it . Just my two cents. All the best, KH

Jan 11, 2019
Macgregor 26 X Sausalito, CA
Thanks! This is the same guy on the Mac site whom I have been trying to reach unsuccessfully. Three attempts to join the group have not worked, and the guy running the site, Heath, has not responded to three emails asking what to do or for assistance, so it seems that group is closed with no new members. Unless I am doing something wrong, but emails have not gotten any answer. So, unless the board opens up, or someone can tell me how to join if it is pilot error, there will be a need for a new outlet for any future Mac owners if they can't get on the other site.
With that said, I did see this mod, and think it is stylish and practical and I wanted to contact the guy, so if you are on the board can you pls send him a PM with my email, stuart@sfcharterboat.com

For my purposes, I would want the following:
-hard top over entire cockpit as I can't be in the sun
-roll down canvas for sides and back
-access to front deck. Maybe hinged windows on the sides? Or maybe outside, make or expand the step and handrails on top
-entrance and egress from side boat, not engine area, no concern for height as no boom consideration, just aesthetics and practicality
I got the boat down from Oregon and now the boat and trailer are CA registered and I am beginning work, waiting for a dry spell, but did some heavy cleaning.
Lots of questions, since I cannot get on the other board may as well put my efforts on this one and/or the Trawler forum has a Trailer section, will have to revisit that. Any advice? Cheers Stuart

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019
Cabin hatch is huge, needing a safe and practical storage , anyone has cut this in half or thirds..?

May 28, 2015
Macgregor 26X Seattle
Updates and maintenance to the site seem to be on hiatus. It has been that way for a while.

Suggest you use Google site search instead, such as typing the following search into the Google search bar (do not enter the quotation marks):

"Mactrawler site:www.macgregorsailors.com"

Jan 11, 2019
Seems you can access the site, can you pls post the other two photos here of the hard top ? I tried and the pix are too small, but yours is larger. Thanks

Opie

Feb 26, 2019
Max 26x Mac26x Wilmington
Even,
Did you buy the boat? Any more questions?
I have had my Mac26x for 14 years or so.

Jan 11, 2019
Opie, thanks, yes I got the boat, a note above, will include photo again. Status is mast, rig, sails all stored and just getting it cleaned up as it sat in a warehouse for 10 yrs. Engine was fogged at that time, same Honda dealership started and serviced it before I bought it, 35 HP, good compression. Please note the bulkhead steering, pedestal has been removed. Plans are to test it in a lake when the rains stop before I start on making a cabin of some type for the cockpit, might be all canvas, canvas sides, don't know. Again, will test the boat in the San Francisco Bay before putting money and time into a cockpit enclosure. Plans are to use it only as a powerboat, and if 6-7 knots of cruising speed will be what I get, I would want to know how much more speed I have with the 35 to get somewhere fast or avoid dangers. If not a significant increase, may sell the engine and put on a Yamaha 8 or 9.9 High Thrust Ex Long Shaft which will give me the same cruising speed, less weight and less fuel. Am on the Facebook Macgregor 26 site, they have about 1700 followers. Cheers, Stuart

Attachments

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 22 Madison In.
This is the same model, fyi, and a very nice interior from another, neither are mineView attachment 160213View attachment 160214
I really get what you are doing, I considered that same route myself but went with the low buck version here at first. I just bought a Catalina 22 for my adventure boat. Many places we will go the sails and mast might get left locked up on the trailer and in the truck, do to negative value in toting them along and other places we will be 90% at sail. Just an efficient fun way to go for adventures in non open water too. Many boxes get checked with the trailer sailer platform.
I like to sew, so I might do some sort of a serious custom dodger on mine.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019
I did it with a Catalina 22, swing keel, pop top, 8 HP Yamaha Ex long shaft, high thrust, elec start and tilt, a great little boat! Why carry a 250 HP engine with fuel, etc?
IMG_2093.jpg
IMG_2094.jpg

Attachments

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 22 Madison In.
I did it with a Catalina 22, swing keel, pop top, 8 HP Yamaha Ex long shaft, high thrust, elec start and tilt, a great little boat! Why carry a 250 HP engine with fuel, etc?View attachment 161819View attachment 161820
Thanks for the pic's, that is where we are starting here at first, wanted the Macgregor for more cabin space but since I am new to sailing an learning that part of it, I thought the smaller boat would get us to the water more often. Hope we can cross paths some day.

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 22 Madison In.
P.S. What did you plan for as far as MPG on the 8hp yamaha on the C22 ??

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019
DD, was this question to me, MPG on the 35 Honda? If so, I have no idea and don't care. If on the 26X with a 35 Honda and no mast or rig or sails, with, say, five people onboard, I can only cruise at 7 knots, then I will consider selling the 35 and getting a Yamaha, of which I have had several on at least five boats, one a 31' trimaran I sailed from Canada to San Francisco. If 7 knots with the 35 will be my average cruising speed, the only other consideration of me keeping the 35 would be WOT with the same number of passengers. If I make 10-13 knots for sometimes needed speed, then I would consider not removing the 35. If I can't have the speed in my back pocket to use if required, why keep the 35 when most of my cruising will be around 7 knots, often in choppy waters of SF Bay.....

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 22 Madison In.
Sorry, i was refering to your old Cat 22 set up with the 8hp yamaha. Edited my question as well. Sorry about being vague...

Jan 11, 2019
DD, Catalina 22 generally a cheaper boat than Macs. Make sure trailer is in good to excellent condition, this is critical, carry a spare, whatever boat you get. Pop top is enormous benefit, swing keel means you can beach and go in little water. Yamaha 8 and 9.9 ideal, I loved the elec start and tilt, made cockpit controls. Keep the rudder, if you get in steep or rough stuff you will need it. Lots of advice if you end up getting something. My deal was a 'hybrid' I removed all sailing parts.