About to buy a 26X, a few questions

Jan 11, 2019
Macgregor 26 X Sausalito, CA
Hi, The mechanics are doing compression check, service etc on a 35 HP Honda on a 26X.
I have only seen some pictures, not complete, but told the pedestal has been removed and the wheel is now on the starboard cockpit bulkhead. For whatever reason, they said visibility, it has been done. I need sun protection, so will get a bimini. Also maybe sides and back because the SF Bay gets wet.
Am considering even making some kind of nice looking semi permanent enclosure as the boat is only to be used as a power boat, price might be similar to canvas. Does anyone have any experience for a dodger/bimini as a hardtop? Anyone seen the wheel moved to the bulkhead?
Considerations for either are visibility, deck access, and time of removal and attachment for trailering. Also, the new steering location in regard to whatever enclosure I mount if I buy the boat. Thanks, Stuart

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Yeah, what Justin said. Unless you're getting it for $1.98, there's probably better ways to go.

Jan 11, 2019
I've had power boats and sailboats, have a powerboat now, can't trailer it or beach it, big engine takes 11 gallons per hour at 8-9 knots...converted a Catalina 22 pop top swing keel to a 'hybrid' with electric start, tilt, 8 hp high thrust, ex long shaft Yamaha, loved the little boat, economical, roomy, looked weird, but when folks saw the utility, ease, speed and space they had new thoughts . A trailer boat can also double as a little motor home, am thinking of going cross country to the East Coast and ICW...

Attachments

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
What are your questions? Are you asking for review of your ideas?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
It's your money. Your thread title says you have a few questions?
edit: Andrew beat me

Jan 11, 2019
Question is if anyone has ever done a hardtop cockpit enclosure on a 26X?
And if anyone has ever seen the wheel moved to the bulkhead position?
Thanks

Jan 11, 2019
Engine survey being done now, have not bought it. Am used to both sailors and powerboaters thinking this is an abomination, don;t care, for me it combines many elements of each. Thx for the Mac site, apparently it is down at the moment, but will keep trying

Jan 11, 2019
will try again, thank you, could not register, and there was earlier a window saying it was being worked on.
Cheers

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Dottie and I are good friends with a couple that have medical issues that really prevent sailing. They bought a X and use it as a trawler. Did the 'Loop' a year or so ago and plan on doing it again. Can't find many other boats with the room inside that the X has for the money. Great boat for this kind of use if you are on a budget. Same year another X and a M also did the loop. The other two took their masts, but not many places to sail on the loop, but the other X also skipped over to the Bahamas (not just Bimini) on the loop and had been over twice before along with going from Seattle to Alaska on the water and back and the Sea of Cortez and a number of other places. Not sure how many other trailerable boats are up to trips like this. Sounds like Stuart has found a good boat for his needs.

PM me if you would like to get in touch with them or find them on the other board that was posted under RIS. A 35 probably isn't going to get you up on plane if that is necessary at times.

Sumner
==============================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jan 11, 2019
Sumner, thanks, the not so odd thing is once folks see how, where and what can be done with what I call a hybrid, they get curious and become somewhat respectful and curious, overriding the built in prejudices for either power or sail and wanting each to remain sacred. The practicality and speed, if desired, is not really an option for sailboats, and being able to use it as a motorhome, and go the PNW, Catalina, ICW, Florida, Great lakes, inland lakes, etc is another unique part of the use I intend. Cheers, Stuart

Aug 3, 2012
I do admire how much room they have, and I am told the layup is good quality with few complaints. You would not be the first to go trailer camping in a sailboat. Are you thinking of a soft enclosure? I would worry about anything too heavy. You could put the wheel back where it was. It should not be too hard. I am not sure how they handle in chop or seas, but it does not sound like you intend being very far offshore. Any idea why the PO has a smaller motor on a boat meant to plane? Could you move up to a 50 hp? Interesting ideas. Good luck!

Jan 11, 2019
Andrew, A Telstar for sale fyi in Santa Rosa CA at Wind Toys. Had a 31' Kismet sailed from Canada to SF, Brown 31 and Catalac 9 M cat, raced Prindle 19s, so multis are in my blood. I have not seen the boat, waiting for the engine "survey" and if all good will get the boat. Re the 35 engine, will try it first see what it does with how many people and in what conditions. If just two of us, maybe that will be fine, I don;t need speed, getting on a plane would save fuel, but all that will be figured out with use. I am used to 6-7 knots as a good hybrid cruising speed with the Yamaha 8 and 9.9 high thrusts, so this would be a luxury speed wise.
BTW, Sumner, Holy Cow, you do a lot of good stuff, thank you and congrats, will study the links for good ideas!

Jan 11, 2019
This is the same model, fyi, and a very nice interior from another, neither are mine
CIMG0267.jpg
img_436206_2_f24f27bd590edf9bf1dc759fb4deb36a.jpg

Aug 3, 2012
Looks like fun. I could not find the Telstar for sale. Where is it listed?

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Pontoon boats make better campers. The flat floor is much more practical. But since you insist, you may look at adapting an enclosure made for a pontoon boat.