About the block mounting

Apr 9, 2014
MacGregor 21 Topaz Lake
Hey all.
Been some time since I've been around. I'm starting to think about changing my sheets and blocks out. So, my question is:
Do the screws holding the mount in have fixed nuts, or will I loosen them only to hear the dreaded clink clink of a nut falling to the bottom of the boat?

See picture.

Ill cut off the old one and use a block that can be opened if need be.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Can you see behind it from below? Typically there are large washers and locknuts. I doubt you can just remove it from above.

Apr 9, 2014
MacGregor 21 Topaz Lake
Can you see behind it from below? Typically there are large washers and locknuts. I doubt you can just remove it from above.
No, I cant imagine how you'd get under there.
Haven't really looked from the cabin with a light yet.
Either way its way back there and I cant imagine being able to reach.
But I suppose that would answer the question.

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
I don't know which boat you have but I have to imagine there is access to the nuts on the backside. That is to say, I doubt it was assembled in the mold that way or before the prices came together. All that said, it may be just as easy to cut the old one. Just hate to waste a good fiddle that can be used for something else or as a back up.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
If your V-21 is anything like our V-222 getting access to those nuts requires getting inside the cabin and removing the foam blocks from under the cockpit. Crawling under the cockpit from the cabin is tight but doable. You will likely need two people for the job.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
grind the pin that holds the shackle to the block then remove it and save the parts and later you can put a new pin in on reassembly.....block off ...block saved

Jul 29, 2014
Ranger R26 Muskegon, MI
That "pin" looks like a rivet. You may need to cut the head off and replace it with a bolt or another rivet; but that would save the block for later use.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
Nuts on the back for sure. I rebedded mine. Getting back there isn't too bad if you have a good first mate to hold the screw driver. NO crazing in the glass so the mount looks solid. Joe sailor may have it. Dremmel. Good to inspect backing while you are on it though.