Abby Sunderland found alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Lost her rig...... waiting for assistance... she's tough, I'll bet she continues if she can get the boat to safety. If she abandons... its all over... but a good story nonetheless.

OldCat

Jul 26, 2005
Catalina , Nacra 5.8, Laser, Hobie Hawk Wonmop, CO
Whose Choice?

Lost her rig...... waiting for assistance... she's tough, I'll bet she continues if she can get the boat to safety. If she abandons... its all over... but a good story nonetheless.
Does she get to choose now about abandoning the boat? I am not sure that she is in a position to "get the boat to safety". Won't the possibility of towing and salvaging the boat be the decision of the captain of the rescuing boat?

OC

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Does she get to choose now about abandoning the boat? I am not sure that she is in a position to "get the boat to safety". Won't the possibility of towing and salvaging the boat be the decision of the captain of the rescuing boat?

OC
To the best of my knowledge.... no one can make her abandon the boat, it's her choice. Remember "The Perfect Storm" the guy in the Westsail 32 was talked into abandoning his boat by his inexperienced crew... it ended up costing the life of a CG heli crewman and the boat was found unharmed a few days later. The question of salvage is often determined by who offers whom the tow line... maybe someone else can comment on that.

If she can start the motor she can power to safety.

International maritime law requires that no boat can ignore a distress call and must give assistance if possible. Whether the sailor is distress is able to pay or not.

dew

Apr 18, 2010
macgregor 26x lake martin
She was picked up by a French Fishing vessel. Her dad said they would scuttle the boat, but..... It may be a few days before she re-unites with her family.
At least she is safe.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Abby's parents have been severely criticised for for letting her sail a yacht across the Indian Ocean in the notorious winter storm season, only a month after she was forced to stop in South Africa for auto-pilot problems.A similar voyage by Jessica Watson was done in much more favourable seasons.
The man who built Wild Eyes, Queensland boat builder Jon Sayer, said that Abby was not up to the trip.
"She wasn't physically or mentally strong enough to handle a 40-foot boat in those winter storm conditions."
Round-the-world yachtsman Ian Kiernan also criticised Abby for failing to respect the sea.
"I don't know what she's doing in the southern Indian Ocean in the middle of the winter. We need adventurers but adventurers who do foolhardy things and put their rescuers at risk, it should not be allowed."
However, her parents defended their decision, saying they were a family of "adventurers, not accountants''.

I cut the above from the AU article below.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/rescued-abby-sunderland-wants-second-go-at-sailing-record/story-e6frfq80-1225878946554

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Ken Barnes called himself an adventurer.

May 4, 2009
2 Hunter23 Croydon,Pa.
I really admire this young girl, I know grown people who panic and cry when they get lost in Walmart.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
I really admire this young girl, I know grown people who panic and cry when they get lost in Walmart.
You need to get out more. Go to some girl's high school lacrosse or softball games and see what a gutsy high school girl can take and give. Girls aren't as meer as the used to be.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
My sixteen year old grand daughter calls her softball team "girls". Some those seniors are very strong young women.

Oct 20, 2008
Oday 222 USA
What is the blue-colored item in the water just aft of the hull ? Is it some type of Drogue?

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
probably the mast and rigging, I doubt she has been out to cut it off....

Dec 9, 2006
Oday 22 Hickory, NC
Peggie...you are a bad, bad gurl!LOL
Jack
PS, I told my wife about a sign I saw the other day that said, "I hunt, because my wife can't climb trees!" She countered with a description of a woman knoking a mans head clean off...as it was rolling around on the floor she said, "That's OK...he don't use it anyway!
PSS, To keep on topic I have been having fun with the Editor of the Greensboro News and Record. He would not let his spoiled little wossy sixteen year gurl old said around the world.

Last edited:

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
ross is just now learning the difference between females and felames..lol.....

good one, peggy!!!

and there is something about this young gurlee that hasnt gotten to the troubleshooting 101 stage as yet--she seems a bit more spoiled than jessica, who, to me , at first, looked too woossie to do this--was i wrong..LOL..goes to show ya!!! i still dont know why she didnt cut the rigging and jury rig something and finish her trip.....or was she deck stepped , therefore totally done????

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
I saw something from a phone interview done after she was picked up that sounded like there was only a 2" (or 2') stub of the mast left. Hard to do much with that if the rest went over the side. Just cut the mess away before it rips your keel off.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Salvage the boom and stick it in the mast stub.

Several lessons in this event; 1st. prepare the boat for the worst. 2nd make it as strong as is reasonable. 3rd expect the worst and be prepared for dealing with it. 4th. Dont rely on EPIRB as a substitute for 1,2,&3

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I for one dont have a pro or con attitude toward this young lady......but i will say that if it were not for people like her these United States wouldn't be to begain with.... after all it was a Spanish Queen that financed the exploration of the new world .....this is not intended to chastise anyone on this board ....just food for thought from another point of view....

regards

woody

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
I for one dont have a pro or con attitude toward this young lady......but i will say that if it were not for people like her these United States wouldn't be to begain with.... after all it was a Spanish Queen that financed the exploration of the new world .....this is not intended to chastise anyone on this board ....just food for thought from another point of view....

regards

woody
If I recall history my ancestors were standing on the shore when the illegal immigrants arrived some of my other ancestors among them. Were it not for the locals the Europeans would have starved during their first winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.