abandoned MacGregor 26S?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wayne Bostow

I have suddenly come into possession of a MacGregor sailboat which I believe is a 26S now sitting on a trailer with the mast removed and not sailed for at least four years. It has been kept clean cosmetically. Is there any way to test the water ballast while on the trailer? How can I obtain a manual and especially parts list to detemine what I might be missing? Although I sailed in it, I remember little of importance. I don't remember the centerboard setup at all except that this model was not what I call a "hummer" with a guy wire. Is there a club in the Houston-Clear Lake-Galveston area? I'd especially like to team up with anyone with a full working rig or perhaps an experienced sailer currently without boat. The battery is presumed dead. Is that just for lights? Can I delay replacing it? What is the best way to sell the boat?

M

mrbill

mac 26

lots of questions... first, look at stb transom and get last 2 digits of hull number, this is year of mfg. then go here: macgregor-boats.com, on left frame are manuals, find the one for your year and print it. selling it you would need a title at least in fla) trailers normally only have registrations, and can be obtained by weighing the trailer (only). the battery is use only for lights, and possilby the motor.(if elect start). the main things you need are mast, boom sails, rudder, maybe motor. anything else can be obtained at a somewhat reasonable price. typically there will be 2 stays connected to the mast (stb/port) front stay, and back stay. missing any of these is a problem.... if you block the trailer (specially the rear) you can fill the water balast from the cabin, vent hole. (blocking w/ CBS block!!!) close the screw type drain, (rod goes up to close) -dont allow the water to freeze!!! also: to sell boat I use boattraderonline.com fully rigged its probably worth bt 5K - 10K. -also from bobs site theres a link for the macgregor web ring.... look there for local help. (or repost question for houston area on this and main board) best of luck. -ps: is the current registration sticker still valid? if not, you may get a ticket... (if local lake has enforcment). pps: trailer tires should be replaced if dry rotted (or over 10 yrs), IMHO.....

Status
Not open for further replies.