Abandoned Boats...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
I read an article on abandoned boats - and how they are turning up in a lot of places....

I wonder if there is a "central registry" that one could post a boat for "free" - to give away... I know there is Craig's list....

It would be neat if there was such a thing... might be able to give work to some people dismantling the "junk" boats and selling off old parts.. The state could even do it.. If a city can run a "day work" facility - then how about something for people to work at.... It would even save them $$ on the cleanup side of things..

--jerry

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Not that it's terribly centralized, but the Digital Dumpster Dive on this site could help.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
I think that in order to that one must legally get the boat declared abandoned and that means red tape. I am told that here in NY state it is quite a process.

Dvideohd: How many of those boats do you actually use?

Ctskip

Sep 21, 2005
other 12 wet water
Many of these "abandoned" boats are a sign of the tough economy. The initial cost was no problem. It's the storage/slip and maintenance that is putting people over the edge, so they are turning loose their boats and some (not all) are even filing insurance claims on their boats. It's just a sign of hard economic times. More to come.

Keep it up,
Cskip

Jul 24, 2005
"actually use...."...

Well.. I go places and sail on the Mac 26D.... I have a long list of simple projects I have done and am doing.. Just to make "comfortable" for family and also I have learned a lot about working on boats.. the 26D is simple and yet you really do learn a lot....

I live in Texas - but work a lot in CA.. so I get to be out on the Columbia 28 MKII - sometimes a lot - but sometimes not. The 28MK II is classic plastic from 1969. It is built ultra solid - at least compared to the Mac... It's a lot of fun to be on - and a whole different experience compared to the Texas coast and lakes...

The H37C is a Katrina boat.. . the list of what I will have to do on that just keeps growing..... it's a "major work" on boat - and is in the back yard. It's going to be a while to get it fixed up... I am not in a rush to finish this project.. When I am not working (like now...) consulting... I candabble on the boat...

We started out with the Mac25 - and my son is fixing up.. When he gets a few basic items done and it checks out on the water and with the Coast Guard.... then it's his...

So.. I really only get out on "one boat" - but when you travel a lot - like I have - then it's OK to do some different things... None of these boats are what you call expensive.. but upkeep is always a little time and some money...

--jr

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack
This would be a lot like the FREE Saber 28 i turned down with the NON-RUNNING atomic 4 that had to be hauled to YOUR property

The yard was a SABER DEALER and would NOT allow you to store it there BECAUSE they new it would break most peoples bank to repair

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Abandoned boats.

Here's one. It was floating high and dry the first time I pulled into my new marina a few weeks ago. The hatchboards were out and the slider was open. I thought someone was working on it. Nope, abandoned where she sits.

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I am looking for a nice free Beneteau Oceanus 40 with autopilot and air conditioning !! If anyone sees an abandoned one, give me a shout!

CMM

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 30mkIII Falmouth, ME ME
What are the laws on salvage rights on abandoned (things drifting not secured to anything) things in the ocean ? Is it, first come and its yours ?

Jul 24, 2005
Marina....

I would think that the Marina or dock owner would be after that boat to pump out before it goes down.... the downside to ignoring it is potential oil or gas leaks... and a host of other problems.. which the Marina owner or dock owner might be stuck with paying.... even with insurance.... the Insurance company might say... "you had time to address this problem and chose not to... you pay for it..."...

Perhaps a Coast Guard Call with comments on oil/gas leaks might promote some action...

that said...

I would think a $50 to the marina/dock owner and the right release document - would get you a boat - after a while... depends on salvage and other mechanics liens, I guess...

I would be curious...

--jerry

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
If you see a Hunter 49 abandon, shoot me an email and I'll remove the unwanted boat from sore eyes :)

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
At the very least one could claim salvage rights and thereby have the right to a lien on the boat.

Mar 8, 2009
Catalina 22 Kemah,Texas
I read a story of a large freighter that drifted for a year before they found it, even used planes to search.

Aug 2, 2005
pearson ariel grand rapids
At the very least one could claim salvage rights and thereby have the right to a lien on the boat.

Wouldn't that open you up to storage fees, before and after the paperwork came through?

Ken.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Only if the boat in question was in a boat yard or marina. If it is on the water, not in a marina or boatyard's property lines... then it wouldn't cost you anything additional. However, a lot of these boats are in such condition that they're really not worth salvaging. The salvaging process paperwork can take a long time and often the boat deteriorates to the point it isn't worth salvaging before the paperwork is finished. That's a problem even marinas, who often have a method of expediting the salvage paperwork, run into.
Wouldn't that open you up to storage fees, before and after the paperwork came through?

Ken.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.

Ken.
My thoughts were concerning those boats that are towed up some gut and grounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.