A year of ownership on a 1994 Hunter 29.5

May 7, 2019
Hunter 29.5 Lake City MN
We got our first sailboat this year. I just wanted to share our experience on the 1994 Hunter 29.5.

The boat was in fine condition, but had been neglected. We had leaks coming in every corner of the boat. Here is what we found.
  • Anchor locker pin leaked
  • Bow Pulpit sealant missing (causing leak into v berth)
  • Anchor locker drain tube cracked
  • Thru-hull backer plates all rotted
  • All ports leaked (needed new gaskets, we used Gray part 802344 for all PYHI and Gray ports. The new PYHI gasket leaked again right away )
  • All also were not cut flush from factory (This caused water to sit in port, and eventually drain into cabin. Also to catch a toe on.)
  • Rub rail caulking was all in need of replacement (Water would follow hull seam behind rail until it found entry.)
  • Many thru hull fittings leaked (I resealed them all with 3m 4000)
  • Aluminum blackwater tank was covered in holes. (Replace yours right away if you have aluminum. Ronco makes excellent tanks)
  • Blackwater hand pump bellows leaked

• Dinette table can be restored to a beautiful finish with use of stain.
  • Jib cleats are much better with cam-cleats
After getting it up to usable condition we love the boat. Sails well. We added a chart-plotter and autopilot. It had new sails and an asymmetrical spinnaker.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Lovely boat. I really like the way you hung pictures on the hull. Classy.

What are these doors for? I don't have them on my H26 and I've never been in a 29.5

1571162166235.png

May 7, 2019
Hunter 29.5 Lake City MN
The pictures are hung with velcro, but they need to be redone because they keep falling. The doors are just additional storage along the sides of the vberth.