A thank you

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
@Maine Sail , A thank you is due. The cleaner is 920, and after a quick wipe with the dreaded acetone, two coats of 925.
Everybody has heard the “slices and dices” promises of “on and off”, but this stuff is something else. The wax goes on paper thin, and the shine !
Thanks for sharing this kind of info. It’s appreciated.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I purchased some last week but have not had a chance to use it yet. Thanks for the update.

Sep 12, 2015
2002 Hunter 356 Oakville
Hi Meriachee,

What kind of shape was the gel coat in prior applying these two products? Was it applied by hand or machine? Do you have any photos?

Regards,

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Hi Meriachee,

What kind of shape was the gel coat in prior applying these two products? Was it applied by hand or machine? Do you have any photos?
The cleaner does not contain any grit. It will not damage the gel. It's applied in 2 sqft areas by hand. The effort is worth it.

Finesse-ii is a polymer sealer. What it does is fills tiny imperfections and makes a nice flat surface for the wax to reflect off. It's not a coating, it doesn't act like paint. Think of it as a crack filler. On a tiny scale. This is applied by hand and buffed off with a slow wool pad

Most folk seem to have tried just about everything, and there's nothing like needing to have a nap after applying wax, because the stuff generally creates a layer that requires a football team to get off. I'm no chemist, but the thing I'll say about this wax is that it's truly 'wax on - wax off'. The stuff goes on SO thin that you can barely see it, and comes off as easily. Applied with a large applicator pad, and buffing with a very slow polisher and a big pad results in a nice glossy finish that will last.

Here's a shot just out of the warehouse after the bottom job in 2016. The gel is still as shiny as this, although in this shot you can't read the license plate of the truck, but get the right angle and you can. This is 1993 gelcoat.

PS, I have no affiliation at all with Collinite. I just really like a very shiny boat, and hate the effort required to keep it that way. Less time for :beer:

DSC00437.JPG

Sep 12, 2015
2002 Hunter 356 Oakville
Your boat looks amazing! My boat is a little chalky and needs a good buff; do you think the results will be worth it just trying this to start? Or should I follow mainsails step by step instructions to a great buff?

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
Your boat looks amazing! My boat is a little chalky and needs a good buff; do you think the results will be worth it just trying this to start? Or should I follow mainsails step by step instructions to a great buff?
can someone post those instructions if possible?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Awesome info! I had my hull buffed and polished this year as it has been 5+ years. I'd like to try this for my topside parts next as the price for that from the detailer was pretty sporty,

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Awesome info! I had my hull buffed and polished this year as it has been 5+ years. I'd like to try this for my topside parts next as the price for that from the detailer was pretty sporty,
Once you complete Maine's process of compounding, polishing, glazing, & waxing a 30 something foot boat you can appreciate why yards and detailers charge so much. It is a laborious effort to say the least; however, if you want a great result, that's what it takes.
A year ago when I hauled out and did the entire process on my boat, it really looked great. The yard manager asked me if I wanted to wax boats for him!! No way! It's a labor of love for my boat only. Don't forget the ibuprofen; you'll need it after the first day!

Jul 8, 2012
Catalina 28 North East
Breaking through several years of poly glow on my 28 foot Catalina was a challenge and a chore, now that I just need to lightly compound and wax each season it isn't tough at all. There can be a kind of zen that makes it borderline enjoyable. The right tools, ladders and products are important. If you are hurting at the end of the process maybe alter the tools or technique?
One thing I suggest to those about to begin is tape off an area and completely compound, polish and wax it, then stand back and appreciate the difference. Having a good idea of what you are working toward makes doing the whole boat easier.
I usually do one side at a time, then the stern. Out of habit I do the white topsides down to the stripe first, then change pads and compund and wax the blue stripe. Then I break out the iphone to show off the mirror finish in the deep blue color.
Maybe I'm working off of an older rendition of the instructions, I use the Presta products and finish with 3 coats of Collinite Fleet wax. Waxing is easy as long as you don't let it dry on the hull.

Attachments

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
Breaking through several years of poly glow on my 28 foot Catalina was a challenge and a chore, now that I just need to lightly compound and wax each season it isn't tough at all. There can be a kind of zen that makes it borderline enjoyable. The right tools, ladders and products are important. If you are hurting at the end of the process maybe alter the tools or technique?
One thing I suggest to those about to begin is tape off an area and completely compound, polish and wax it, then stand back and appreciate the difference. Having a good idea of what you are working toward makes doing the whole boat easier.
I usually do one side at a time, then the stern. Out of habit I do the white topsides down to the stripe first, then change pads and compund and wax the blue stripe. Then I break out the iphone to show off the mirror finish in the deep blue color.
Maybe I'm working off of an older rendition of the instructions, I use the Presta products and finish with 3 coats of Collinite Fleet wax. Waxing is easy as long as you don't let it dry on the hull.
Holy Crap, that finish is gorgeous! Nice Job:thumbup: