A TANKLESS JOB

Status
Not open for further replies.

slunga

Aug 21, 2006
- - edgemere
The cat 30 I have recently aquired has no holding tank, vent, or pump-out, just the head. It is a 1976 model. Is installing all the above equipment feasable or should I just put in a porta-pot? The wife and I do not plan on any weeklong ventures but she likes the "real" head. Thanks for any input.

B

Bob

Interesting Challenge

To give you an idea of whats involved regarding setup and parts for the "head" in the Catalina 30, please follow this link: 1) go to "resources" 2) select Sailing Web Sites 3) select Catalina 30 International 4) select Technical Library 5) select C30 Parts Manual 5) Select Section 4 (Systems) 6) go to pages 57-58 Here is the the plumbing and hardware required to place a permanent head, holding tank, discharge point, etc in the 30. You should already have a sink drain thru hull under or near the v-berth. This will take in the water required for flushing. You should also have a thru hull for the sanitary discharge from the holding tank, which is set up under the dinette port side seat. The big concern is the deck coaming fitting for pump out and the heavy duty sanitary hose that weaves under the galley components. If you have to start from scratch your looking at a bunch of money!! The holding tank can be just as malodorous as a pota potti if not worse. Your waste retention corelates to the holding tank size, so without a ton of chemicals and deodorizers, they can stink up the cabin. The only inconvenience is that you have to empty the pota potti yourself. Better yet if the hose is long enough at the pump out station near you to reach the porta potti tank this might be a better alternative. Then of course if your a real purist, the good old cedar bucket may be the better way to go. I think that the porta potti might be a good choice for now and their are very decent and comfortable models out there. Good luck Bob '88 Catalina 30

Jun 3, 2007
Catalina 30 Rock Creek Chesapeake Bay
Go with the POT

I just completed replacing most of the hose for the toilet and the holding tank as well as the toilet itself on my 1989 Cat 30. If I had to do it all over again I think I would just buy a good porta potti. That said, I do like the ability to use the pump out service at the marinas.

J

joe friedman

the port is right

i recently sold a c-27 that i bought as a project boat. the thought of putting in a holding tank with all its plumbing and stink steered me to a porta potti. i took out the old head and installed a thetford msd that has the ability to be plumbed into a holding tank (if you want to go that way), can be dumped manually, or best of all, can be hooked into a deck discharge system for pump out stations. now that i have a c-30 (another project boat), my plan is to remove the illegal head and replace it with another porta potti. my dilemma is finding the right space. i think it's going to be a bit tight, but somehow i'll make it work. holding tanks just don't make it with me.

slunga

Aug 21, 2006
- - edgemere
The Pot It Is

Thanks for the input. I think a large capacity porta-pot with pump out capability is the way to go. Now, if anyone has any ideas on making some sort of platform to support your feet as well as the pot ? The space appears to be limited . Thanks again.

Jan 4, 2006
Catalina 36 MKII Buford, Ga.
same configuration

Same configuartion on my 1992 C-30. Your prior owner did not change anything. From an insurance viewpoint, wouldn't it be less risky to have 1 thru hull... having another thru hull just increases the chances of a failure and a potential claim.

Oct 7, 2006
Catalina 30 Portland OR.
my 83 is the same

we use the sink to flush the head just run fresh in the sink and pump. We dont open the thru hull to flush unless were low on fresh water. That means less stink from the hole system. greg

A

AXEL

I have a "77 C30

When I bought my '77 C30 about 15 yrs ago it also didn't have a holding tank. I installed one in the deep port side sail locker out in the cockpit. You have to get a little creative but it can be done. The cost will be around $500+, more if you install a macerator. The hose is very expensive and by placing the holding tank out in the cockpit rather than under the V berth you'll need a lot of hose. But I do have a fully functioning head with holding tank, and macerator pump out.

Status
Not open for further replies.