A tale of two boats...

Jan 1, 2020
Catalina 22 S. Central WI
I’d like to start off with a quick apology for this post being too long. But, I think it will be helpful to give a bit of background.

I have had (too) many sailboats in years past. Starting with a foam Snark at 10 years old to a new Sunfish at 18 (which leaked like a sieve), then nothing for 10 years.. an 18’ open boat ( cannot remember the brand) to a Cal 21 I completely rebuilt (split hull top & bottom) and sailed it for a while in the Gulf of Mexico. Then built a 19’ gaff rigged cutter I sailed on Lake Superior, Lake Michigan and smaller inland lakes. Sold that and bought a Chrysler 26 on Lake Michigan (and sailed it twice), then on to a Morgan Out Island 30, also on lake Michigan. Had it 4 years, sailed it 5 times. Both of those had a bit to do with gaining a wife and she could not understand the fact that the boat would not keep leaning till we got very wet.

I’ve had about 20 boats since, but have not been able to go single on a single one.

Ok, now we have come to present day... I have 5 sailboats right now, a 12’ Mini Fish II that I bought for the trailer under it and will sell it this spring. A 14’ Hobie that I WILL sail at least once this spring before I let it go. A 12’ AMF Puffer that I hope to sail whenever I get a few spare hours (live a mile from the water now). and now for the “two boats” in the title...

I have a 19’ Spindrift (same as a Starwind) that I got for a song but needs some work. It had over a hundred gallons of water in it and carpenter ants had eaten both bulkheads and bunk backs. Luckily that boat has a fiberglass liner and very little wood. I would need to replace the bulkheads, cockpit drains, re-bed all deck hardware and ports. Also I would need to make new cushions.

I also purchased a 1975 Catalina 22 w/pop top. Same deal, lots of water, no ants though. It will need some woodwork, drains work, deck hardware re-bed, ports sealed & wiring.

I will be sailing solo 99% of the time (or more). I will be sailing (yes, I WILL be sailing) inland lakes, Michigan and maybe Superior around the Apostles or the Kewenaw Peninsula. I have decided that I am not getting any younger (really) and I need to get back to what I am passionate about. I doubt I will ever go cruising for weeks on end or to exotic ports of call, but maybe a few over nighters or a week here or there.

So which boat and why?

The Spindrift is 800lbs. lighter so easier to trailer (somewhat) though I have a full size pickup. Those 800lbs. will also make it a bit more tender than the Cat 22 (I think). the Spindrift does not have a weighted swing keel, just a center board so no worries about a keel pin. I will be sailing solo mostly so do I need the extra 3 feet?

The Cat 22 might be more sea kindly with the extra weight. The extra room might be nice if I get rained in for a while. There have been tens of thousands of the 22 built so parts are still easy.

If you were in my place and want to get back into sailing, which one would you keep and why?

Thanks much.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Just looking at the two designs side by side, I would guess the cat sails better. The bottom shape looks stiffer and would create a lower wake volume. I, personally, would want the overnight space and I don't really see the 800 lb weight difference making that much of a difference to launching. The catalina sits lower on the trailer and will probably float right on and off the trailer at most ramps.
The one minor criticism I would have is the masthead rig vs the fractional rig. However, that also means a bigger headsail for light air sailing.

Go sit in the cockpits of each of these boats. Raise the mast and set them up. Take a nap below and you will likely find a preference on your own.

Considering the work you are describing ahead of you, you might consider a third option. Sell both boats and find one that will fit your sailing needs that is ready to go. It will probably save you time and money, in the end.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
My only comment is a boat that small is fine in areas like the Apostles where shelter can be had quickly, but no passage-making.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I did a lot of work and sailed a Cat 22 for half a season. I also owned, sailed and worked on a 1984 Starwind. The starwind was far better built than the Catalina. I have read that the Spindrift's werent built as well. Most of the parts on the Starwind are generic and readily available. They do have a pivot pin for the centerboard. If you look in the access port under the removeable part of the bed you'll see two mounds of 5200. The 5200 is covering the bolts for the centerboard bracket. You'll want to inspect the wood under the mounds for moisture. I suggest using a dremel for this.

As for sleeping arrangements I had no issues sleeping in either. Both are far more comfortable than my O'Day 25. The layout on the Starwind is fantastic for it's size. It's hard to saw which one sailed better as the Cat was on Lake Geneva and the Starwind was on Lake Michigan. I got tossed around in both. The Starwind is a blast in heavy winds. I had it in 20-25kts but called it quits when I was constantly being sprayed in the face.

As for towing, the Starwind liked to bounce around on the trailer. Perhaps the trailer wasn't setup correctly. I would take the Starwind over the 22. The guy that bought mine wanted it specifically for the Apostles.

Consider what @Will Gilmore said. I'll second his opinion of selling both

Jan 1, 2020
Catalina 22 S. Central WI
Thank you, I was hoping to hear from someone who had experience with both...& yes, I'm considering selling both them maybe looking at a Com-Pac?? or similar... even saw a Morgan 22 that looked interesting, my last Morgan (Outisland 30) was built like a tank.