A stand alone fridge system on a pocket cruiser...

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Until you need to transport it in a dinghy & lift into your boat :)

Swing out the boom and use the main sheet to lift.
That is the way it has been done for a thousand years.

Not really sure whether they had compact refrigerators then, though.

gary

• Helpful

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
we ran down both our engine start and house battery running the adler barbour with the battery selector switch on ALL for a long 24 hour overnight trip. . so we installed a dedicated refrig 3rd battery to cleverly keep ourselves from doing this again. (fortunately we always carry a jumper pack .)

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
The one I suggested only weighs 28 pounds. Obviously if you load it up with beer and food, it will weigh more, however, it is easy enough to empty and refill on the boat.
David. It was meant as joke more than anything else. The last two trips I hauled a loaded cooler out to the boat that's on a mooring. Shortly thereafter I read this thead.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Misfits, we ran our house batteries down as well. I talked my wife into rowing our dinghy fast enough to push start us ..

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
David. It was meant as joke more than anything else. The last two trips I hauled a loaded cooler out to the boat that's on a mooring. Shortly thereafter I read this thead.
Sorry, my sense of humor appears to have taken the trip I had planned and left me behind. The boat is in the water, the mast is on saw horses. The new Tides track I bought and tried to install last week is apparently on a boat in Australia, while I have the Australian track which was too large for my mast, the folks in Austalia have a track that "fits" but is really too small. The truck died a couple of weeks ago, prompting an unplanned purchase of a new truck and loss of time to work on the boat so I can go sailing. Meanwhile, I'm involved with a restoration project of a 65' steel schooner, which is limping along as the boat is on one side of the border and the NA is on the other side. Oh, and this morning my wife said I should go check out some plumbing in the basement as it seems to be leaking, it was.

I'm supposed to be in the Gulf of St Lawrence in the Magdalen Islands enjoying fresh lobster, beautiful scenery and planning a passage to Newfoundland.

Life in my bubble has been a PITA and that's not even considering what's happening in the big bubble we all live in. :(

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Rick mentioned the "experiment" I have been doing with a solar powered fridge for the last four.. maybe five years now. I keep the boat in a slip for 5 months of the Arizona winter with no AC power and solar runs the fridge for that 5 months. I added a little solid state relay that shuts the fridge off every night and its overall been easy on the batteries. You have to compromise a little on taking accurate measurements but I have been and its all in the link below. My only regret is not buying an off the shelf fridge like the Engel intead of building one. But Ive had no problems

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
And here I thought being sequestered at home , going back to work till I can sel the business, again...:facepalm: was a PITA.:soapbox: You got me beat. You win...160522-5c988c23b18eafb34ca56b0f0a4892c6.png

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
And here I thought being sequestered at home , going back to work till I can sel the business, again...:facepalm: was a PITA.:soapbox: You got me beat. You win...View attachment 182162
Let me be clear, I fully recognize my problems are first world problems, more annoying than threatening. My health is good, my income is secure, and I have food and shelter. There are many who do not enjoy the privileges and security I enjoy. So I hesitate to complain or bemoan my situation. Still, it is frustrating to keep running into obstacles, especially those over which one has no control. And some days it is hard to notice subtle humor.

• Ha
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It helps when a friend sends you an email full of smiles in the morning. Sip coffee, laugh. Sip coffee, laugh. Sip coffee blow it through your nose when the laugh is uncontrollable. Those are good mornings.
:biggrin:

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
Sorry, my sense of humor appears to have taken the trip I had planned and left me behind. The boat is in the water, the mast is on saw horses. The new Tides track I bought and tried to install last week is apparently on a boat in Australia, while I have the Australian track which was too large for my mast, the folks in Austalia have a track that "fits" but is really too small. The truck died a couple of weeks ago, prompting an unplanned purchase of a new truck and loss of time to work on the boat so I can go sailing. Meanwhile, I'm involved with a restoration project of a 65' steel schooner, which is limping along as the boat is on one side of the border and the NA is on the other side. Oh, and this morning my wife said I should go check out some plumbing in the basement as it seems to be leaking, it was.

I'm supposed to be in the Gulf of St Lawrence in the Magdalen Islands enjoying fresh lobster, beautiful scenery and planning a passage to Newfoundland.

Life in my bubble has been a PITA and that's not even considering what's happening in the big bubble we all live in. :(
I know you were hoping to embark on what I'd consider a trip of a lifetime. Sorry it hasn't worked out for you this year. Hopefully you'll be able untie the lines next year.

FWIW, it's been what I would consider a lousy spring here on the Maine coast. I've only been in the water 16 days. July 4th has come & gone so I'm getting ready for winter again :)

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I didn’t read though all of the thread but it seems like you are needing to build a large solar/battery system to keep up with a inefficient refrigeration cooler that uses a lot of power and has poor insulation. You could build a well insulated box and add a efficient isotherm system, put together a smaller solar system and have power left over for other needs.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH

Rgranger, it sounds like there is some help that could be offered that you might want to gracefully decline due to a current infection more dangerous that some measley pandemic. You don't want to catch what dlochner has. :confused:

-Will (Dragonfly)

• Ha