A soon to be trailer Sailor

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Adam

I am in the process of deciding on my first boat, and have narrowed down the search to 3 boats and I am looking to solicit advice. I am planning on purchasing a trailerable boat that I can easly single hand, in terms of setup, launch and sailing. The boat needs to be able to handle a nice day sail or even a long weekend with myself and the girlfriend. I have been lloking at 3 boats 1. Hunter H240 2. Catalina Capri 22 3. Precision 21 I am interested in comps between them as well as opions on the water ballast hull. Thanks in advance Adam adam@mendelson.cc

S

Steve Wright

No Brainer - Hunter 260

Your girlfriend will love the roomy interior! She would like a H-260 even more, than any of the boats you have listed because, has an enclosed head (bathroom). Besides, If you do buy a H-240 now, in two or three years you will be upgrading to a H-260 so spend a little more now and save a big later. S/V Persnickety H-26

T

Tom

Ditto a 26 or a 260 both great!!

My H26 is the best boat I've owned. I find the water ballast to be as stable as most other boats. Might have to reef earlier, but other than that no big deal. LArger is always better and you can find some nice used boats foe the price of any of the ones you have mentioned, new. Good luck!!

T

tomD

towing limits?

If you are planning on storing the boat on the hard, and using the trailer to spot it in good sailing areas, consider the total weight of the boat, contents, and trailer w.r.t. your tow vehicle. Hard to get momma in the mood for a moonlight sail after a nailbiting day on the road underpowered and under braked. I have a Catalina 22 that is easy to rig, easy to tow, and has basics below for 2 for a weekend. It singlehands nicely. Less spartan than a capri 22. Very popular boat. Having said what I chose, do give those waterballast Hunters a good looksee. Mine is a classic and sails great but the Hunters are easy to live with. The H 260 has it all, in my opinion: coastal sailing, marine head, trailerable (just), and a simple rig.

R

Rick Webb

Look at the 23.5 as Well

It is essentially the same as the 240. There are a few things on the 23.5 I like better for instance the aft berth runs in line with the boat vs. perpendicular the is also a bit more storage because of that. The rudder setup is better though it is a bit more of a challenge to bring it into the upright position thankfully I do not have to do that frequently. The 26 or 260 is a lot more boat to tow but that extra couple of feet make it look like a whole lot more boat than it’s little sisters.

S

Sean Coerse

H240

Adam I dont know about the other two boats but I have cruised and raced my 1998 H240 all over the bay and in my opinion its a great boat. I may be listing my boat shortly as I have a line on a Sabre 28. Give me an email if you have any questions scgccckc@rcn.com. Regardless good luck with your search. You'll find this is a great site for info on the Hunters. Sean Coerse H240 "Right Coerse"

B

Bill O'Donovan

Bigger

I dunno why you got recommendations for 260s when you're only up to 240, but bigger is always better if you can afford it. The extra two feet (from 22 to 24 in the question you pose) can stretch your possession time from 3 years to 5. Go big.

N

nick maggio

240 or 260 or 22

I looked at the 240 and 260 and was all set to buy the 260 until my wife saw a 280 and I now own a 2001 290 its the best thing we ever did good luck with what ever boat you buy.

B

Bruce Mitchell

Other boats

What about the Precision 23.5? It would be my choice. I've done a fair bit of research on it and it has impressive credentials. But, I'd also say, go big! I just bought a Tanzer 7.5 two weeks ago. It is trailer launchable(1950 pd shoal keel), has a 5'8", private head, too seperate cabins, 6.1 knot hull speed. Another great boat is the O'day 25. You might give these two boats your consideration. The later is more available to those south of the border. Cheers

M

Marc B

Tow vehicle may be a factor

Adam, I have a 240 I bought last fall, and we are happy so far. I understand the folks suggesting the 260, as it has some features (enclosed head) the 240 does not. My question is your tow vehicle. I use a 6 cyl compact pickup (Isuzu Hombre) for my 240, and it seems just fine. If your tow vehicle would handle a 260, look at it in addition to the ones on you listed. Just make sure of the towing capacity of your vehicle before you make your decison. You don't have to buy a bigger tow vehicle to match the boat, after the fact. Best Regards, MarcB

F

Frank Sears

My 2 cents

I bought a H260 two years ago. On the water I enjoy her and I only pull her out for the winter. However, trailering her I don't like. She is too big. I only tow her about 30 miles. 20 of which is on an interstate. On the interstate she's fine. She fits there, but on the side roads I'm usually hanging over either the white or the yellow line. So, if I were you, I'd consider where you want to haul this boat and the condition of the roads... I bought the boat in NC and to get her to the interstate I pulled her on some side roads where I was hanging over the yellow "and" the white lines. Thank God for country roads with no traffic. Good luck.

B

Bob

Launching and Rigging

No one has yet commented on launching or rigging these boats. If it's a pain to launch or rig a boat at the ramp, you sometimes tend to stay home and avoid the ordeal. This is especially true if you are talking about an afternoon sail. Make sure you get some info on this aspect, and try to take part in the process with someone who already has one - they'll love to have some help. Practical Sailor described one boat as "heaven on the road and in the water, but hell in between."

T

tom

too big too much!!!

I had a trailerable sailboat for 12 years. Actually three!!! A 18' day sailer a 22' helsen and a Macgreagor 26s. By far the 18' was the most fun to "sail". The 22 was fun but heavy to trailer and set up. The Mac was easy to trailer and had a better place to sleep. We originally planned to keep the boat in the driveway and pull it to the lake on weekends. We quickly rented a slip and only pulled the boat to other lakes/bays on vacation. We got to where we could launch /load the mac in about 30-45 minutes. It's no small task when there are 20 bass boats and a lot of wind. The Mac was easier to tow than the helsen. It is definately a two person operation and my wife would be doing some things while I did the others. The rigging would twist or catch and the rudder/motor drag if you tried too hard. After sailing for almost thirty years I say "simple and easy". If it's too hard you won't use the boat very often. When I lived on the beach I sailed almost every day after work. But when I lived just ten miles away it was once a week. At a slip we could be sailing in 10 minutes. There are soooooo many boats that just sit and turn green because it is too much work to get them sailing. The best thing about a plastic trailerable boat is that it costs almost nothing to leave it sitting in the driveway!!!! Tom

T

tomD

you have a point, Tom

I have a C22 Mark 2 which is now permanently stationed on Lake Okanagon because the boatramps are all set up for powerboaters: too short, uneven, and shallow!! After several disastrous ramps, I have stationed it in one marina and now I go to it. so much for trailersailing! It's often about the boatramps and the vehicle. Before this I owned a Wayfarer 16 and took it everywhere, sailed it on large lakes etc. and it would rig up in minutes, tow well, and if you packed a tent and coleman stove, you can go cruising. I like Avalon, but miss Sweet 16 Size isn't everything. facilities matter too.

Status
Not open for further replies.