A sad time....

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
A very close friend moved from the dark side ( power boating) into the sunshine ( sailing). Having said with me he decided that a C-34 was his choice. The search began, the boat was found, the process started and the virus choked down most activity. The seller, in his mid 70's appeared slightly detached. Yesterday, the boat was transported, stepped, splashed, acceptance tested by the surveyor and moved to a dock for rigging of the sails. It soon became apparent about the detachment of the seller, who is a very nice gentleman. He was confused about many aspects of how the boat is rigged. A brother in law who had more knowledge of the boat was there to assist him. Very sad time indeed when the aging process overtakes anyone, and even more so when it's the original owner of a boat with so many memories that are now fleeting ghosts...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Touching story. Perhaps your friend can ease any burden by once the boat is again sailing ready calling the previous owner and inviting him for a sail. For old time’s sake.

Being sure to show how the boat is in loving hands and will be taken care of, cherished, in a new good home.

Boats are personal things full of emotions. Such a gesture may help. It maybe best to make the suggestion through the Brother-in-law. Be prepared, it will be an emotional experience. Who knows there maybe a lifetime of stories shared or only tears. Or nothing may happen.

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
Yes, it is sad to see how aging changes your life. With some it is physical and others the mental capacity deteriorates and even worse, some experience both . I feel fortunate that as I reach the 3/4 century mark, I can still function , although I am slowing down. I have a friend who sold his boat at age 88 so I make it a point to get him to go sailing with me whenever he can make it. Now at 93 he less inclined to go, but I still make the offer. Hopefully, there will be someone around to help me out when I can no longer sail by myself. I would encourage everyone to get know the older sailors. You would be surprised how much you can learn from them and you might even enjoy their friendship.

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
The offer of a sail was made and accepted.
Excellent, we did the same when we bought our boat, took out the previous owners who had developed disabilities that hat stopped them using there dream.