A question of paranoia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2009
American 26 & MFG Challenger 12 American 8.0, Challenger 12 Lake Pepin, Wisc.
I have a serious question to bring up for discussion.

I have an older neighbor. He is around 71-72, he has a 26' Cabin Cruiser of some sort and he keeps it on a trailer and takes it to the Mississippi occasionally.

He also has a large female German Shepard dog that is getting elderly as well. He is divorced and lives alone, just him and the dog. I have become friends of a fashion with him since we are both trailer boaters.

He moved back to Iowa to be close to family from the West Coast, he brought his boat and dog with him. He has been telling me that he believes that he has been put on some kind of Homeland security watch list, because his dog barked and got aggressive toward the wrong person once on a beach in San Diego Ca. a couple of years ago. He says now no matter where he goes he is confronted by people who make it their business to get in his face and complain and threaten him about his dog.

He took his boat to the Mississippi last weekend and while on a sandy beach he was tied off to a tree and the dog was tied to the anchor line to run on the beach. Several boats came and boxed him in and started being rude and abusive verbally to him about his dog who barks, but I have never seen her do more than that.

He tells me that now no matter where he goes, he is confronted by strangers who take it upon themselves to make his life miserable.

My question to you my fellow trailer boaters, is this.

Have you encountered what you would consider more rudeness while on the water in the last few years. I haven't been on the water enough to have a point of reference.

The reason I am thinking he is suffering from age related paranoia, is that my father had the same problem back in 1990 at about the same age. Is this just something that some people go through. Honestly I don't know what to make of it. Other than this, he is a very nice guy and a good friend to help out on his boat or he helps me with mine as the case may be.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Why not go with him one day and see if he really does experience what you describe?

Dec 25, 2009
I plan on doing that just as soon as I can get my boat in the water and we can go together. We are OK around each other for a few hours, I don't know about a weekend when I would be on his boat the whole time. First time, we should probably have both boats.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You really should direct this question to Dr Phil, or Dr Laura.

Dec 25, 2009
I was wanting your perspective from a fellow trailer sailor on your experiences during your outings in the recent past and wether or not you have notice a marked increase in rude and boorish behavior by other members of the boating fraternity.

I have no way to know personally as we are just getting our boat ready to go. I really hate to believe that the public has gotten more in your face than they use to be. But then again all you have to do is watch the news and see that it sure isn't my America like I remember it being in the 50's. We have slid way down hill, and no one really seems to give a good ........

Probably shouldn't have posted this here.

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
Tom,

Recently I had an emergency that had me tie up at the closest dock. It happened to be at a small public ramp used by power boats under 20'.

I came in at sunset, when all the boats on the lake were trying to pull out.

It was clear I was in distress. All went by me. None offered any assistance.

Once I tied up, I was verbally assaulted by several boaters. They wanted to know what the hell was wrong with me for being at "their" dock and get out of the way!. I was tied on the opposite side of the dock from the ramp so I wasn't impeding the use of the ramp.

Most of the time small power boats and sailboats on my lake have little interaction, so I can't tell you if this was the norm. I was very surprised by the hostility though.

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
Here's another thought.

I scan all the popular VHF channels whenever I'm aboard. I know that power boating friends here in the upper mid-west like to meet up at favorite camping spots. They are very possessive about these locations.

If your friend was beached at one, the "friends" could have resented his presence and harassed him in an attempt to get him to leave.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
24/7 news cycle didn't do anyone any good, but people have been boorsih since the Moorish.

On two recent cruises the same fellow announced late the prior evening that "he had to get away very early the next day." In both cases the SOB tied up inboard of everyone, without considering his impact on his fellow skippers, like getting up early, untangling his "dock" lines (old spinnaker sheets and rotten halyards ties all over the place), his yelling at dawn and before dawn, and bouncing off boats while trying to get out. He knew this before he showed up and could have asked for and gotten outside space.

All he'd had to say was: "I'd like to leave early without inconveniencing anyone. I'd be glad to move my boat while it's still daylight and help you move yours. And I'll double my lines back so I don't bother you in the early morning."

He didn't, neither time.

On an earlier cruise, a fellow skipper came by before dinner, mentioned he'd be leaving and asked me to help him double his lines back and line him up properly. This required him to move his boat. I didn't even know he'd started his engine at 5:45 a.m.

In both of the latter cases, I tried to keep this one yahoo from ruining a great trip. In both cases the other 11 crews were great fun and we had great times.

Idiots abound, just try to avoid them. 99% of everyone I meet are pretty good folks.

Last edited:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
For The Record...

...Doctor Laura is an excellent sailor (really)....

back on subject; I think it is commendable you have an interest in his welfare. Altho my first impression was age-related paranoia (I'm not too far off the age mark), it may just be the dog and his (lack of) care with it ticking off folks. I also was surprised at the lack of civility on the water when I also got a freshwater lake powerboat. Not to be snobby, but there was a big difference with the salt water boaters I've been familiar with. Probably just the lake I'm on.

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
Unfortunately the most obnoxious person I know of on our lake is a sailor, not a powerboater. :eek:

He does have a really smart dog though. :D

May 26, 2004
Macgregor Venture 25 Trailer Sailor
My last experience at the Apostle Islands was that everyone was friendly. The only ones that have ever given me any concern were power boaters in a narrow channel and the speed they feel they need going around me.
BTW I believe your friend may be showing signs of Alzheimer's. They exhibit paranoia and confusion in some stages of the disease yet can be very friendly at times also.

Sep 28, 2005
-Florida Bay Boat Co. -Peep Hen Minnesota
Lots of people are in a hurry and rude on the water. But I think Phil (above) made a very good point. I can't help but think he may have nailed this one. Brian

Dec 25, 2009
Thanks to one and all. I wondered about the Alzheimer's, that really puts this into the realm of awkard now if that is the case. I am only a recent friend and it has only been for a couple of months, since I got my boat and started working on it.

I don't know any of his family. His nearest son is 90 miles away and I have never seen him come here. Occasionally Dad goes to visit the son. I guess all I can do is just to continue to be a friend and listen and not make any comments.

Darn, I only have 8 more years to go to that age.

Thanks again everyone.

Tom...

Jan 3, 2009
Marine Trader 34 Where Ever I am
Tom, I am not sure your neighbor is suffering from any mental illness. We have been on the water cruising for a couple of decades. In that time we have seen our fellow boaters go from a environment of comradery, to rude, inconsiderate and many times downright dangerous groups that have only the money to buy a boat and not the common sense to know how to use it. Take a trip down the ICW during the migration and you will gain a deep understanding of your neighbors state of mind. Just because your paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't after you.

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
Unfortunately, some dogs bark, and most of their owners have become deaf to it. So it's very possible that your new friend may be leaving the dog to bark, when a more considerate owner would try to control that a bit better.

Also, when you're alone and not feeling your best, it's possible to get overly sensitive about any recurring criticism. The paranoia part - could be he's just being crusty.

In general... I find that civility is slid a bit downhill - it's too easy to identify only with isolated groups, or be isolated in public (cellphones, iPods) but you can also find pockets of genuine warmth and common interest... like sailing forums (as long as you avoid politics ;) ). I have found that some boaters bring their urban rudeness with them, but I have also found lots of people who love boating for the opportunity to "kick back", be themselves, and open themselves up to new people and experiences.

If you do hang out with your new frind and his dog, bring an audio recorder to capture the dog barking, and play it back to him later.

Mar 28, 2006
Macgregor 21 Cow Canyon Colorado
I must admit that I can recall a time in my youth when our group wanted an area for
a particular weekend, a decision was made to "Go Pirate" - i.e. pursuing behavior which
would make the other campers feel that it would not be comfortable. Loud music,
general Loud and annoying behavior. We got our beach.
Go with him and check it out.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I have a serious question to bring up for discussion.

I have an older neighbor. He is around 71-72, he has a 26' Cabin Cruiser of some sort and he keeps it on a trailer and takes it to the Mississippi occasionally.

He also has a large female German Shepard dog that is getting elderly as well. He is divorced and lives alone, just him and the dog. I have become friends of a fashion with him since we are both trailer boaters.

He moved back to Iowa to be close to family from the West Coast, he brought his boat and dog with him. He has been telling me that he believes that he has been put on some kind of Homeland security watch list, because his dog barked and got aggressive toward the wrong person once on a beach in San Diego Ca. a couple of years ago. He says now no matter where he goes he is confronted by people who make it their business to get in his face and complain and threaten him about his dog.

He took his boat to the Mississippi last weekend and while on a sandy beach he was tied off to a tree and the dog was tied to the anchor line to run on the beach. Several boats came and boxed him in and started being rude and abusive verbally to him about his dog who barks, but I have never seen her do more than that.

He tells me that now no matter where he goes, he is confronted by strangers who take it upon themselves to make his life miserable.

My question to you my fellow trailer boaters, is this.

Have you encountered what you would consider more rudeness while on the water in the last few years. I haven't been on the water enough to have a point of reference.

The reason I am thinking he is suffering from age related paranoia, is that my father had the same problem back in 1990 at about the same age. Is this just something that some people go through. Honestly I don't know what to make of it. Other than this, he is a very nice guy and a good friend to help out on his boat or he helps me with mine as the case may be.
Tom,
You're not going to believe this but.....I found out years ago from a friend of mine who was a member of my YC and a director of a town emergency management, that he saw my name on a "Watch List." I really don't know exactly why I was put on this list but I do know that I've had a chopper hover over me while I walked my dog along the shore of the Taunton River, beach combing. A generating plant is on the other side of the river. We've done this activity through the years, even during the winter months with our kayak. One day a chopper and a patrol boat were spying on us. No one has ever confronted me or given me a hard time though. Penny doesn't bother anyone when she runs the shore line. She just likes to chase squirrels, geese, and swans. I'm also very active with my PC, politically. Unfortunately, I think that your friend is paranoid. In my case though, if some nut case decides to do harm to innocent people and property, and the powers that be wasted their precious time looking at me instead of watching him,--shame on them. As far as I know, I'm still on that list and I couldn't care less because I don't fly anymore and I seldom ever go anywhere. True story.
Joe

Mar 8, 2009
Catalina 22 Kemah,Texas
watch list

One good thing about being watched is that if you had an emergency they might come to your aid.

I think nowadays if you walked by a bank or gov. building and said "BOO" you'd be on some list.

Feb 5, 2010
Hunter Legend 35.5 Fort Pierce, FL
It's a little odd that your friend says everywhere he goes people are rude and suspicious acting. What's the common denominator? Are the resources of this country such that everyone on a 'watchlist' can have surveillance? I don't know how that would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.