A lesson on winches

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
When it comes to extending or retracting the trailer tongue I have discovered a few things. I always use wheel chocks on the trailer wheels to keep it from moving or on the one ramp I use, I can back the boat up to a curb and use that to retract the extension. The biggest thing I have found for my trailer is to use the tongue jack to take the load off the trailer tongue when you are moving it. It doesn't take a lot of upward lift to get the tongue to slide easily. Matter of fact, on the one ramp I mention above, I can back the trailer to the curb (with the truck/trailer pointing uphill) and lower the tongue jack to the pavement. A little upward lift of the tongue and the truck will slowly slide the extension into the tube. Raise the jack to slow it down, lower it to speed it up, don't go too fast.

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
@danooxnard I'm happy to report that I've been able to get help and got the trailer tongue extension refurbished. A local sailor allowed me to park the boat at his place and use his tools to grind down the rust, then I applied Ospho, then the primer paint. We did a trial fitting after grinding the rust off and that alone made a huge difference. It slid in and out with minimal effort. The Ospho REALLY works, I was impressed, and so was my buddy; he'd never heard of that before. Right now I'm waiting on the primer to dry, then I'll add a glossy paint, and I'm planning to tape the tube off in sections and paint a "Green, Yellow, Red" pattern to help me guide the tube so it is lined up with the pin holes. After I add grease this thing is going to be almost automatic. Thanks for the helpful recommendations!

Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA
Hi Brock, I am super glad it worked out so well. The grease is a game changer! Thanks for closing the loop and sharing the results for everyone. Dano