A lesson in seamanship

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
New
Not sure what you mean ‘no electricity’. He clearly has VHF, GPS, a GoPro and a computer. Assume he has running lights as well.
Hi Jackdaw

Yes. he has batteries and electricity now but when he circumnavigated 7 or so years ago his sole energy supply was kerosene. He also has a video on the proper maintenance of kerosene navigation lamps , as if any one would need that.

No chase boat. That's him with a drone.

Gary

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
It's not being PC to suggest that it is stupid to say "sex sells". It's just plain stupid to say it period. I watched Kevin's video blog and the notion that he needs a girl in a bikini on his boat never occurred to me because it's simply juvenile. I am suggesting that it may be more difficult to attract an audience because the audience may be more interested in relationships between people (being solo, he may not have that element). Conversationally, he does a very good job, I think. That's what makes the videos appealing. At least that's been my experience. I feel sorry for the folks that need to see a girl in a bikini in the video to get perked up.

But look, I can be juvenile, too. I don't really have a great objection. ;) I understand when a joke is just a joke. I'm just relating that there are real, valid reasons why people are attracted to these video blogs. I see the reasons why.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
when he circumnavigated 7 or so years ago
Thank you Gary. After seeing the video and observing the use of electrical equipment, I wondered what about your no electricity" statements. I went looking and after altering the query a couple of times i found his "Bothby Boats Blog". Most of the material was 2016 and more recent. He was sailing on the east coast and in the Caribbean. There were electrical gadgets on his boat. There was a reference to a circumnavigation so I stopped looking as it really did not matter.

His style of reporting was easy to listen to and it sounded like he had sailing skills. While i did not agree with idea of sailing into an unknown port at night, I could see how his sailing with our power might necessitate such issues. Did like his sculling to the dock to effect takeout of his boat.

I am sorry Scott. I am afraid the statement "Sex Sells" while juvenile and not always appropriate is very much a true statement. Certainly not always overt gross images, but there is no mistaking the attraction of sex to humans. And marketing folk use it all the time in subtle ways. The more clever the idea the better it works.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Kevin does have some battery power, but he uses non-powered,
hand tools, including a manual drill!
And, No Chase Boat.

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
To jssailam and ggrizzard
Thanks for bringing us back on course.

shemandr, You mentioned his rig and running rigging. Every line on my boat is backspliced or whipped, so to see Kevin's frayed sheets happily waving in the wind makes me wince. But they do the job.

ggrizzard. You mention his hand drill ,( not to mention his rusting spanners and wrenches). My tools are carefully wrapped in oiled cloth so to see Kevin's gear makes me wince. But they do the job
Watching him work up foreward with no PFD or line makes me wince.
Watching him repair his seacock. ( I really hope he replaces it this time on the slip) makes me wince.
BUT,
His riffs on weather forecasting, his gourmet cooking. his guitar playing. his attention to the details of actually sailing are great. Him patience, WOW!
Respect

gary

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I do admire his patience and also the mental strength it takes to spend a lot of time alone. I think I would go insane becalmed or drifting around slowly and with no recourse. I mean stark raving mad.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I am sorry Scott. I am afraid the statement "Sex Sells" while juvenile and not always appropriate is very much a true statement. Certainly not always overt gross images, but there is no mistaking the attraction of sex to humans. And marketing folk use it all the time in subtle ways. The more clever the idea the better it works.
Then you miss my point. In the context of viewing Kevin's video blog, it is stupid and juvenile to suggest that he needs a girl in a bikini on his boat because "sex sells". In my opinion, he is a very interesting guy and his conversation with the audience is more than enough to capture my interest. I think for Sue to be captured by his adventures, he would need a partner where she becomes interested in the relationship on a boat. She wouldn't be very drawn to the solo sailing bit. That is my point. Yes, I'm aware that for idiots and adolescents, "sex sells". ;) Since we mostly don't tolerate that kind of foolishness on SBO :cool: I'm happy to see that Andy sheepishly regretted his faux pas ;)If that sort of nonsense is your thing, there is always the "Boat Babe" thread. I hope you all know that I'm just giving you all sh!t for this … if you deserve it. I'm not really serious, just not letting it slide.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'm not sure what "no power at all" has to do with seamanship.
I sailed an old gaffer (1909) through the South Seas for 5.5 years on which the only electricity was a great stereo and one single electric light over the chart table. The nav lights were kerosene, which I had light every evening and even the binnacle lights were kerosene.
There was no GPS, AIS or any other powered nav instrument aboard, except for a radio to receive the time (for celestial navigation), which I'm pretty sure the person this thread was written about also had.
Dozens have circumnavigated w/o an engine and that also doesn't signify any particular specialized skill as a sailor, IMO, as many of us have had to go places w/o an engine when it breaks. We did 5 months through the Antilles w/o working engine and even one charter.
He's just another one of us who has chosen to sail in his own particular way.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
In context I think I understand your point..:biggrin:
And I understand your comment about Sue, as a representation of the female community, being interested more in a relationship nature of video's than just solo sailing.
That you providing clarity :stir:is always enjoyed.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I think people try to attract us with spectacle, flash, excitement, drama, sex, many things. As you can see here, what attracts many of us are the details, the minutia, we can see by looking closely. I am fascinated by seeing how he rigs, his navigation, his thinking.
To me, sailing is about planning and skills. It is about thinking ahead for every situation, having a response to the unknown, and execution. This is what makes sailing feel like an accomplishment every time, but especially when the weather or situation tests us. I go to bed smiling after a day like that.
This kind of video teaches me. That is what brings me back.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
... He must have solar power to run the chart plotter, VHF and Go Pros. And maybe he needs a gal who looks great in a bikini to go viral.
The panel (~ 80W?) is conspicuous on the slider.

My first two boats had no engine. You work with it. And certainly there was no GPS (35-40 years ago); few cruisers had more than piloting tools, which is all you need on the Chesapeake today. Few had solar and boats were smaller. And it was OK.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
The panel (~ 80W?) is conspicuous on the slider.

My first two boats had no engine. You work with it. And certainly there was no GPS (35-40 years ago); few cruisers had more than piloting tools, which is all you need on the Chesapeake today. Few had solar and boats were smaller. And it was OK.
One of the drone shots shows a couple of solar panels, I think.