A lesson in seamanship

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Thanks for posting Gary. Now that's a Cutter! A nice simple boat. Some rigging details that caught my eye. The "Dolphin Striker" is 3 strand nylon as is the main sheet. No mast hoops and just line woven around the mast. I would think in windier conditions that stretch would make some funky sail shaped but I guess sailing off the wind mostly would mitigate that. He must have solar power to run the chart plotter, VHF and Go Pros. And maybe he needs a gal who looks great in a bikini to go viral.

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
Not sure what you mean ‘no electricity’. He clearly has VHF, GPS, a GoPro and a computer. Assume he has running lights as well.
And a chase boat shooting video.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I have to say I find this whole trend disturbing. Guys pimping our their wives/girlfriends to garner views. If my daughter's boyfriend tried that I'd punch him in the nose, and then force him to watch 'Maiden'.
Sex sells.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Sex sells.
That's kind of an odd-ball statement that implies that the only people that watch these sailing blogs are dirty old men that have a need to see girls in bikinis on sailboats. From my perspective, nothing could be further from the reality. I'd say it's a combination of the destinations and the relationships. I think it's true that couples, or multiples of relationships (such as Delos) are what attracts viewers. I typically seek out the blogs where I might relate to the destinations. Sue gets fully involved in the relationships. Sue is far from an avid sailor, and she doesn't have any particular need to watch sailing blogs, but there are a few that she is totally vested in watching every episode because she has developed a strong attachment to the couples, as if they are personal friends. She has a personal interest in where they go, what they video record, everything personal that they go through. She keeps up with them on social media and she wants to make contributions to their adventures, probably because these people have opened a window into their lives (and their lives are interesting) in a very personal way. It's as if they are close friends. It's reality television in it's best form.

I think it is simply archaic thinking to suggest that it is all about "sex sells". Maybe for lonely men, but there is so much out there that is new and evolving with these sailing blogs. The relationships that they create with their audience goes way beyond that, I think in a good way!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have to say I find this whole trend disturbing. Guys pimping our their wives/girlfriends to garner views. If my daughter's boyfriend tried that I'd punch him in the nose, and then force him to watch 'Maiden'.
:clap::clap::clap:

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Probably the aerials are with a drone, but not operated by the skipper.
Huh?? You can see him operating the drone from the cockpit! It's standard equipment for sailing video blogs. He keeps saying "we". Is he with somebody or is he referring to himself and the boat?

Feb 20, 2011
That's kind of an odd-ball statement that implies that the only people that watch these sailing blogs are dirty old men that have a need to see girls in bikinis on sailboats.
That's your mind going there.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm sorry I put in that throw away statement in my post. I was just making a comment on the way to make a video go viral. I wish we would go back to posting about the boat or the voyage - even the criticism of the electricity free claim.

Feb 20, 2011
I'm sorry I put in that throw away statement in my post.
You did nothing wrong. It's the (slightly amplified) PC culture enforced in these fora that cause us to wish to avoid any confrontation whatsoever.
I was just making a comment on the way to make a video go viral.
Exactly. I was just agreeing with you.
But then, I am a dirty old man. A real freak! :biggrin: