A hole in the hull for a fuel line?

Sep 29, 2013
catalina 22 houston
Has anyone ever cut a small hole in the hull of the stern to run the fuel line out to the outboard? Right now mine comes out of a fuel tank, and you have to leave the seat open to reach the outboard, which means, you really can't sit on that seat without crimping the fuel line.
I was thinking of cutting a small one inch hole right out the stern, up high, to run the hose through.

Any advice/thoughts/experience?

thanks

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
pictures would help see potential solutions, but if it comes down to it, I guess you could make a hole for the hose

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Beware of placing a portable gas tank inside an improperly vented locker. Gasoline fumes are heavier than air and will flow and pool into low spots. There are new gas caps for portable tanks that restrict venting fuel fumes while allowing air into the tank and the use of those would be safer. If it were me I would just drill a hole large enough to install a grommet and pass the hose through. A 1" hole might be to large. The hose can be reattached to the connector at the engine side once it is threaded through. Place tape and drill through it to prevent cracks in the fiberglass.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Catalina 22 Panama City, FL
I would get a longer fuel line and route it out the lid cutout like it's designed.

The hole would have to be large enough for the fitting unless you would also splice your line. That would introduce a couple of clamps and more issues. Why not just get a long enough fuel line to route it like its suppose to be. That way you don't have another potential spot for water intrusion.

Lane

RJD

Aug 31, 2013
Catalina 22 Chesapeake Bay, Deale, MD
On my 1984, there are water channels below the lids of the lazerettes. On the port lazerette, there is enough room in that channel for the fuel hose. I trimmed a small "U" in the rear outboard corner of the lip that supports the port lazerette hatch. I run the fuel hose through that opening, along the channel, and to the motor. This allows you to keep the lid closed with the hose connected to the outboard. When I'm not using the boat, I disconnect the fuel hose and stow it. The top of the lid keeps rain water out and rain water flowing though the channel doesn't reach the top of the "U". I don't have a good picture of the opening but if you can wait a week or so, I can post one.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
yes... cut a hole and put a perko hawse pipe there..... before installing the pipe, you should install a stiff wire or bolt thru/across the hole of the pipe so that when you want to disconnect the line from the motor, you can insert the end of the fuel line back into the hole on the other side of the wire so it does not fall completely to the inside of the boat.... and it will be right there for easy access when you want the hose out again....

there could be some issues if you should have a leak from the fitting, but I only did mine this way during the off season.... and the fitting I had didnt leak, so there was never an issue...

here is a photo

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2013
catalina 22 houston
I think I understand. I would have to cut a bit of the lazerette to accommodate the hose. I'm still thinking I'd rather run it out the rear, and out of the way.

RJD

Aug 31, 2013
Catalina 22 Chesapeake Bay, Deale, MD
In this picture, you can see the fuel line running through the water channel of the port lazerette (near the red cup). The fuel line isn't connected to the motor in this picture but if it was, it would run under the main sheet traveler car.

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Git, I did that on my previous boat, for the same reason. You can get a tube that is used at home to run the TV or phone wires from outside the house to inside the house. I'm sure HD has them. Has a flange on one end for the outside of the house/transom.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
On my 84 c22, I run the gas and battery cable out the rear facing air cowl. Gas tank is in the lazerette strapped down. Never had gas smell in over 4 years. I just close the vent when I leave.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
On our 1981 Hunter 25, the fuel line was run through a hole in the rear locker, through the transom to the outboard. I had plans to make it a proper fitting but it just required pulling the fitting off the end of the hose, running the line and then putting it back on wit a good hose clamp. Not elegant, not totally proper since the fuel line was in a rear locker but, the boat had no real source of electrical down low. Proper would have been to put a vent and blower in the bilge and things would be fine. This is standard fair on a power boat and not hard to do.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I'm assuming you have an original c22 style boat.

The ones I've seen had a moulded spot in the port lazarette for the fuel tank and most people seem to run the fuel line out the vent on the stern there.

The older models have been known to experience fuel fumes into the cabin (unlike the New style and Mark 2 models)

For that reason, and to increase usable storage, some people have built small boxes that sit at the aft end of the cockpit, under the tiller.

Other C22 owners have used a plastic tote or cooler, to make a sealed fuel locker in the port lazarette. They then run a vent hose out the transom or into the cockpit. The tote can also serve as a place to store oil etc. to prevent spills.

Personally, if my 87 C22 didn't have a fuel locker, I'd use the box under the tiller method simply to increase storage since it's at a premium on a 22 footer.

Newer tanks, if working correctly, should not vent "out" unless the cap is removed.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Yes. I cut a 2" hole in my transom for fuel, shift, throttle, and starter cables for my 272 outboard. I installed a remote throttle for my 2012 yamaha 9.9.
I used a 2" electrical box adapter as a grommet in both the hull and fuel locker to run the line and cable. It fits perfectly. I mounted the remote throttle on the outside of the fuel locker in the cockpit. You can seal the grommet in the cockpit locker with foam after you cut the hole, glue in the grommet, and run the cables.
Use a plastic clamshell vent to cover the transom grommet from getting rain in it.
New tanks and caps are sealed from venting fumes, so vapors are much less a problem these days. Even before I sealed the hole, I never smelled any gas fumes.
I have left my tank in the trunk and not smelled any fumes, so the new caps work!
Mine is working perfectly.

Aug 3, 2012
Oh, and on my C22, I ran the fuel hose out the rear-facing cowl on the port side. As Kito said!

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Gitpicker, what year boat? On my '87 C22 with the tank location in the port aft compartment (when I had it) I used a piece of PVC pipe that I epoxied in place through the drilled hole, sealing up the void between the two glass layers of hull and cockpit liner. It is an easy mod.

If your boat is the older style, (no cooler for step) and stores the gas can in the starboard seat in basically the starboard quarter berth, consider coming up with a solution that gets the gas out of the boats interior.

Aug 3, 2012
Getting the gas out is a good point. I had the gas stored in the port quarterberth, as Phil says, and I eventually reconditioned the internal tank on my Mariner 4 to use that. I then carried a 1 gal tank on and off the boat when sailing.
Good idea Phil. I forgot I had done that.

Thanks,
Andrew