A Helm Worthy of My Ambitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi Roger,
I'm reading your OP with the responses and you really tied yourself in a knot. I guess you'll just have to tie everyone up.
All U Get

Jul 17, 2009
Endeavour/Chrysler E-32/C-22 swimming pool
Damn Roger theres drool on my key board now, The 1st mate and I was talking about going with a wooden wheel because we are on the go alot and the same 22" wheel and it has the area between my thumb and fore finger calised.(sp) I will need to show her the pic of yours.

Dec 24, 2010
Oday 22 Erie Basin Marina Buffalo, NY
Beautiful job Roger, the shellac and spar varnish will make it a work of art!

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Here are pictures of it finished with six coats of Shellac. It looks even better in real life since the photography makes the finish look thicker, wetter, and more sparkly.

Zinsser did a good job on this color. It stands to reason, with the resources of Rustoleum, that there would have been an expensive effort with numerous focus groups involved. A successful, mass market, color has to hook into something deep in the subconscious.

Like every man who was once young and sure he would sail through the South Pacific and around the world, I have seen that color in my mind. An opened coconut held in slim tapered fingers, behind the coconut, a bare breast; above the breast, a face with a smile that promises everything; behind the face, the sun setting over sea and islands that hold endless possibilities for the coming day and years. This Shellac is the color of that breast.

When I am punching into the cold, gray seas off Newfoundland, old and alone, hunkered down against the spray in my foul weather gear, I’m going to look at that color and smile because it will remind me that I’ve learned the true meaning of life.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
My wheel was done like that from the PO but I don't know if the PO did it themselves or hired someone. This was in the Mystic Ct area. Afrter 25 years the line finally rotted out and the work was destroyed from years of sun and weather. I've never found instructions on how to do the turks heads at the spokes. Would love to learn to do it myself. I'll look at the links to see if they provide a path to success. Thanks Roger and the wheel looks fantastic. Maybe if I had done the shelac routine it would have outlived me.

Apr 12, 2011
Boat dresser, not an owner Fancywork I'M moored in Phila
Ropework, by it's very nature, is ephemeral at best, but I have seen examples of varnished ropework which are at least 150 years old and may be quite a bit more, still in superb shape. (Click the link and scroll down about half the page.)

Ropework exposed to the elements is in somewhat more of a precarious position for longevity, but it can last indefinitely if not "hurt" and if kept finished.

Mr. Long has done full justice to my work and I'm very pleased he has it aboard STRIDER.

Fair winds and following seas!

Vince Brennan
http://www.frayedknotarts.com

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
My first "upgrade" was wrapping the wheel, though in a much more utilitarian way. I simply too cotton/polyester clothes line, got it wet, and wrapped it as snug as reasonable. It was December, the night before our delivery trip, predicted to get quite cold the next day. Holding a stainless wheel is annoying; it's slippery and either too hot or too cold, so I did something simple, to see if I liked it.

http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2009/05/handfull-of-minor-pdq-upgrades.html

So far, 3 years later, it's holding up fine and hasn't shifted. We didn't coat it--I like the feel of the cotton on the skin--so it's a bit discolored and smoothed off--but as comfortable as old jeans.

We also wrapped a few handholds, principly those on stairs, to increase the grip. We didn't go nuts, since it's a modern looking boat and baggy wrinkles are out of place. But the rope texture is MUCH more functional and also serves to increase the diameter of wheels and SS handholds to the optimum range.

Beautiful work.

Oct 9, 2008
Marine Trader Sedan Mystic, CT
My attempt

I did this during the winter of 2003-2004 and could not think of a good way to protect it. I may try your method on a seperate piece to see if my wife likes the look.

Nice job.

Attachments

Apr 12, 2011
Boat dresser, not an owner Fancywork I'M moored in Phila
PinkPaPa

Nice job! Surprized it's held up so well without coating or shellacing. What size line?

Will be at the Woodenboat Show Mystic...tent "A", space #23...

Do stop by and say hello if you're there! Roger has promised to come down and bring the wheel for people to inspect more closely, but stop by in spite of that...

(Note to viewers: enlarge the pic with the ugly guy in it and look at the turk's head: a "woggle" head which nonetheless "splits" around the spoke á lá Brion Toss' (The Rigger's Apprentice) instructions. Nicely done, indeed!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.