A Helm Worthy of My Ambitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Since I'm going to spend a good part of the rest of my life behind Strider's wheel, I decided that it should be beautiful. Vince Brennen of Frayed Knot Arts did this traditional fancywork for me.

Frayed Knot Arts
416 West Woodlawn St
Philadelphia PA 19144
215-843-7207

http://www.frayedknotarts.com

It will now get a few coats of Shellac soaked thoroughly into the line for the traditional deep brown color and the a finish coat of Spar Varnish.

Detail of the turkshead:

And the larger turkshead at the kingspoke:

I'll post more photos when it is finished.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2009
Endeavour/Chrysler E-32/C-22 swimming pool
Roger that looks great, its something I would like on our E-32 but we don't sit still long enough to send our wheel out. what would be the next best thing?

Nov 22, 2008
we don't sit still long enough to send our wheel out. what would be the next best thing?
Sitting still and doing it yourself? Be prepared for a long sit. It took Vince nearly a full work week to do this.

If anyone does want to send out a 22" diameter wheel, I have a shipping crate and box all made up. I'll send it to anyone who wants it.

Mar 29, 2011
Beneteau 361 Charlotte,Vt
Looks great. It may just have to be a over the winter project.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
beautiful job....I did my own leather cover kit a few years back and my finger's still hurt plus I had to make a jig to hold the wheel upright while I did this work, My daughter stopped by when i was on the last section and was really impressed even after I told her it was a kit

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Very Nice... Did that to Java's wheel a few years ago. Only took two six packs.....
He did some nice work.. thats two different lines going opposite around the wheel...

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 34 Huron, OH
Worthy Helm

Roger: Very, very nice job! You certainly are talented and have patience. I look forward to the final job after varnish.

Nov 19, 2010
ODay 42 New Bern
Roger that looks great, its something I would like on our E-32 but we don't sit still long enough to send our wheel out. what would be the next best thing?
Get your self a copy of "The Ashley Book of KNOTS". With over 7000 drawings representing over 39000 knots you will be able to decorate you vessel in a very salty manner. I got my first copy when in the Navy. It was the fancywork bible when I was onboard a sea going tug, ATF 100. We used it to wrap and decorate every hand rail, stanchion, wheel, and awning frame as well as providing endless entertainment as we tried to outdo each other with our lanyards and belts.

Nov 24, 2010
Seafarer 26 Ruskin
Roger Long said:
Since I'm going to spend a good part of the rest of my life behind Strider's wheel, I decided that it should be beautiful. Vince Brennen of Frayed Knot Arts

Frayed Knot Arts
416 West Woodlawn St
Philadelphia PA 19144
215-843-7207

did this incredible traditional fancywork.

It will now get a few coats of Shellac soaked thoroughly into the line for the traditional deep brown color and the a finish coat of Spar Varnish.

Detail of the turkshead:

And the larger turkshead at the kingspoke:

I'll post more photos when it is finished.
Nicely done.

Mar 26, 2011
Catalina 22 Lanoka Harbor
That looks amazing! I am imagining the boat has lots of brass and wood work. You have to send pictures of it installed. But, deep down inside, confess it, you went bonkers out of your mind somewhere in the middle of this project. :eek:

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
Roger that is really beautiful.

I have to ask what something like that costs.

Jim

Nov 22, 2008
I have to ask what something like that costs.
I'd prefer to leave it up to the fellow who did it to provide his own quotes.

Vince Brennen
Frayed Knot Arts
416 West Woodlawn St
Philadelphia PA 19144
215-843-7207

This is about what it will look like after finishing with 3 - 4 coats of Bullseye Amber Shellac. I'm still taking advice about whether to put a coat of spar varnish on top of that.

Apr 12, 2011
Boat dresser, not an owner Fancywork I'M moored in Phila
Well, thank you to Roger and everyone else commenting.

I have been doing this sort of stuff for something nearing sixty years. I started learning the art from a gentleman who had himself run away to sea at the age of twelve... in 1875 to hear him tell it. He was incredibly old when I met him and I was fortunate to learn from him for three years until he passed the bar in '54 or '55... and I never stopped doing the work.

The wheel is covered in a Spanish three-strand coxcomb (which is in one continuous direction around the wheel) with 6x5 turks heads which "split" around the spokes... not something you'll find every day.

The King Spoke has the same thing but the line is twice the size so as to make it discernable under a low- or no-light condition.

[Princess, I occasionally make it out to Wisconsin in the late Fall or early Winter. A turkshead would take about two hours time.]

I will post here when I do the photo tutorial on doing a wheel, but a brief and transferrable tutorial on the Spanish and other coxcombs may be had HERE.

I am, of course, available for doing any sort of fancywork you may need... you have but to ask and cross my palm with silver.

Roger: enjoy! I would DEFINITELY add a varnish topcoat to smooth the work so it does not remove skin from your palms!

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Looks very salty Roger, now all you need is another turks knot top center to mark the "rudder straight ahead", two to port and starbord made of leather and silk (some cordage that feels different to the hand) to mark 3 degrees of rudder.
I have them and highly recommend everybody mark their wheel. Allows you to tell in the dark what is going on and greatly aides when docking to immediatly go to rudder amidships when needed.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Hey Roger how much beer did you drink doing the French wips?

Jun 9, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Bayfield, WI
Well, thank you to Roger and everyone else commenting.

[Princess, I occasionally make it out to Wisconsin in the late Fall or early Winter. A turkshead would take about two hours time.]
!
If you do I would love it if you would do the turkshead for me. I would be happy to cross your palm with silver or share a six pack or whatever it takes! Just let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.