A great mast raising system

Aug 2, 2016
hunter 23 wyoming
I have a Hunter 23 and have tried several mast raising systems over the years and have finally found one that is superior to all others. It is fast, easy and safe, I found it on youtube under "mast raising tool". I made mine for under $50 and it works great. I can easily raise and lower the mast by myself at will with full control even in strong cross wind. Mine is a modification from the youtube version. Check it out.
IMG_20180903_184359886_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180903_184125493_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180903_184619691_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180903_185727049_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180903_184359886_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180903_184125493_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180903_184619691_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180903_185727049_HDR.jpg

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Slick looking idea. What type of fitting do you have attaching the tubes to the mast slide? Any chance you have pics of that part?

Thanks
Sam

Aug 2, 2016
hunter 23 wyoming
I don't have a picture now but will get one on Friday. I use a roller between the poles and eye bolts about 3" below with a short wire to a center eye. Watch the youtube video of the guy from the UK who invented it search "mast raising tool".

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
That is interesting. When the mast gets near vertical it looks like the roller sits pretty low on the mast, leaving a lot of weight above the roller. How has that worked out for you, to get it fully vertical?

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
That's a really cute idea. I haven't seen it done that way before. Thanks for sharing.

Aug 2, 2016
hunter 23 wyoming
It really works great. I use 7' poles that takes it right to the boom attachment and fully vertical with enough pressure to attach the front stay. You use the mainsheet attached to the "tool" and to the boomvang eye. I was blown away by the youtube video and have found it accurately shows how simple it works.

Aug 2, 2016
hunter 23 wyoming
I don't have a picture now but will get one on Friday. I use a roller between the poles and eye bolts about 3" below with a short wire to a center eye. Watch the youtube video of the guy from the UK who invented it search "mast raising tool".
Here is a picture of the top.
IMG_20180908_101154565.jpg

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Interesting approach! On the video the supports extended somewhat beyond the roller which would provide additional security against the mast rolling off the side in the case of heavy winds or other inadvertent lateral forces.

GREGP

Nov 20, 2010
HUNTER 170 and 23 HIGHLANDS
Thank you Sooooooooo much! just finished lowering my mast with your rig. so much better than the jin pole i had.

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter H23 Southwind YC, Milford, Kansas
This is a great idea and one which I copied when I saw it on You Tube.

Jul 5, 2017
Hunter 25.5 Arizona
So I thought I was going to try something really cool. I measured and it seems I need 9 ft from the companionway to the mast. I was at Home Depot and noticed a 10 ft aluminum ladder that was mangled a the last foot. That would have probably been more work to cut the rivets off and narrow the ladder but I thought it would make a lightweight but strong option. I needed it to be discounted to at least $50 to make it worth it but the manager wouldn't go for it. I did decide to use two large castors mounted upside down on a crossbar instead of a bow roller on an axle. I'm going to do the same thing on my mast support to aid in sliding the mast back and forth.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I may try this at some point, but the toughest part of my mast raising is getting the mast back far enough over the crutch to pin its base, because of the spreaders. These photos look a bit different than what I have, as I can see that when the mast is in the crutch, before the rig has been used to start lifting it, the spreaders are forward of the crutch. I have a Z-spar, and maybe the position of the spreaders is a bit different that this pictured mast.

I did something similar to these pics, built a wooden attachment with a trailer roller at the top that I bolt on to the metal crutch. I leave the metal crutch in its lowest position (the one used to store and transport) and bolt on my extension. That extension is the right height so that when the mast is pinned and rests in it, the mast is angled high enough to clear the sliding hatch. Attached is the only photo I have at hand, but you can see the extension. I did not do anything to angle the extension toward the rear, and the slant of the transom positions the top of the extension (or extended metal crutch if used) a bit forward of the pintles. When I slide the mast back, rolling it along the roller, the spreaders stop it from rolling back far enough to attach the pin on the tabernacle. I have to lift the mast at the spreaders over the wood sides by the roller and move it back about 6 inches to get the mast base in the pinning position. That is a PITA as it is somewhat high to lift.

I have thought about ways to mount the extension so it is angled back a bit, but have no good design that would be easy and structurally sound. I may have a weld shop cut the metal crutch and reweld at an angle with some sort of strengthener.

Do others with a 23 find that the spreaders must be muscled aftward over the crutch to pin the mast? Any good solutions to this?

Attachments

Sep 7, 2011
My mast is exactly like yours. The solution to rolling the mast back on the crutch and clearing the spreaders is to cut your ears off of your crutch support. I did that and replaced my roller with one that had raised sides to it. That way the mast clears the roller and the roller holds the mast in center line as you roll it forward and aft in order to line up with the mast base. Because of the angle between the raising mast and the mast tool, the ears on the mast tool do not seem to interfere with the spreaders.

Sep 7, 2011
Isaksp00: I do not have a picture handy of my mast crutch/roller system but am going to the boat tomorrow and will take a pic so that you can see what I did to solve the mast moving/spreader dilema.