A Good Tow Vehicle???

Jul 11, 2013
Just wondering what vehicles you all are using to tow a Capri 22. I am thinking of trading in my 2000 Chevy Astro Van for a new vehicle. Chevy does not make the Astro Van anymore. I only tow my Capri mainly twice a year (to and from the lake). The Astro Van was a good vehicle with plenty of room for hauling gear. Just trying to figure out a good replacement.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
At first I used a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7L high output V8 that had the factory trailer package.
Last year I traded up to a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.7L V6 that has the factory trailer package.

Both vehicles towed the Capri 22 on a single axle trailer quite well for long distances.

Jul 5, 2013
I pulled my TRFK from Nebraska to Wisconsin when I bought it. Took me 10 hours at 55 mph. I pulled it back with a 2001 GMC 1500 4.3, 6 cylinder, 2 wheel drive.

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
I tow my Capri 22 with my 4 cylinder 2.5l stick 138 HP Ford Ranger.
1) Ranger is only rated for 2000 lbs.
2) I do not have a frame hitch -- but a bumper mounted hitch.
3) Rangers can not read.
4) My whole towing system is probably not NY legal as far as ratings go.

The Ranger, to my surprise, has no problem towing, but again I am only towing on residential streets for all practical purposes. Limit top speed to 35 MPH. Early on a Saturday morning -- no traffic.

Now that said. I am only 12 miles from the yacht club where I keep my boat moored.
I have my route carefully picked where I have no stops on an up-grade. It is all flat or downhill from my house to my club with the route I have picked. At the club I have used friends jeep CJ's or Dodge V-8 Ram to launch it. Towing my boat home at the end of the season last year ( first time) my friend with his Ram Truck towed it. Hey, what are friends for :) Probably my Ranger could do it, although there is one grade when I first leave the club.

At the end of the season my club has a travel lift, so no struggle getting the boat out of the water, plus the bottom gets pressure washed. ($75)

I could leave it at the club during the off season ($$$), but prefer to have it in my back yard where I can work on it at my convenience.

Hershey

Kunzig

Jul 3, 2013
I believe Aviator James said his Honda truck kicks butt and he also regularly has mountains he goes over while towing??

He'll pipe in here eventually -

I would double check the vehicle you "want" to use in the Consumers Reports mag. Checking the transmission rating for that model.
Chrysler has had some transmission issues on the regular vehicles... their vans... for every year they made it! I'll never own a Chrysler for that reason alone - but, Consumer reports will help you see the problem areas with some vehicles. Most Libraries have all the back issues behind the desk for the asking.

Rob

Attachments

Jul 11, 2013
Thanks for all the replies. I am surprised no one uses a Chevy Tahoe or Suburban. I am thinking about a GMC Acadia or Dodge Durango---any thoughts on these vehicles? I believe the Acadia (V6--AWD) can pull 5200lbs and the V6 AWD Durango can pull 6200lbs.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
We used a Dodge Durango with the 4.7 (years ago, 2003 model) to tow a 2 horse trailer with 2 horses... it tows better than a Dakota honestly (I had one of those too). The Hemi Durango can tow up to 9800lbs... I wouldn't but they claim it.

I've had a Dodge 2500, and a Chevy 2500.. needed it to tow the other toys... So I am using overkill.
when I bought it (Curt look at this before picture):

and this picture:

Talk about a diamond in the rough eh?

When I drove to sell it.

May 15, 2010
Capri 22 Central Florida
I've towed mine with my 1989, 4.9L 6 cyl, F150 5 speed, 4wd and with my 2001 Cherokee, 4.0 automatic, 2wd. Both do fine but it's wise to plan ahead as I think both are close to the practical limit, mostly when having to brake.

Our ramp is pretty steep and the Cherokee, being 2wd, sometimes spins the tires... a bit creepy and I look forward to moving to a 4wd SUV in the near future.

Jul 9, 2013
I asked this same question 5 years ago and based on Aviator James' recommendation bought the Honda Ridgeline 4x4. It's a great truck (rides like a car) and handles my fin keel/standard rig Capri 22 fine, even with the Sierra mountains I tackle going to regattas up and down California. The most grueling is the last 30 miles uphill from Fresno to Huntington Lake for the High Sierra regatta each year - just take it slow uphill (about 40mph) to keep it around 9-10mpg average for the whole 6 hour trip from Grass Valley. Previously towed with a Pontiac TranSport (2 transmissions), Olds Bravada 4.6 V6 (2 transmissions) and Dodge Durango (5.0 V8) that was the best for towing, but had ball joint problems (tires/wheels too big for the axles). The Ridgeline seems like it will just keep on truckin' up/down the hills around NorCal.

Going up to Lake Tahoe and the Windjammer's Fannette Island race next weekend.

Jul 18, 2013
My 4.7L V8 2000 Dakota did fine, I guess. It did finally throw a transfer case and tranny, but at 350k miles something has to go, right?
The new F150 EcoBeast should be fine too. Really, if the weight being towed is less than the capacity of the vehical (tongue weight and tow weight) then the quality of the trailer, loading of the trailer (tongue weight/ballance), and driving habits will have the most effect on tow quality.

ps. Don't even think about worring about fuel economy when towing, that's a messed up priority.

May 3, 2008
Catalina Capri 22 Half Moon Bay
Honda Ridgeline
I tow Bella Barchetta everywhere I sail.
It's been flawless.

ps... JerryMLewis...I'm glad you're as happy with your Ridgeline as I am with mine!

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
sorry for the double post, not sure how that happened, and I hate it when that happens... lemme see if I can at least trim one.

Apr 6, 2022
Catalina Capri 22 Miami
Hey guys, so I've been going through this post as well as several others and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm considering buying a Catalina Capri 22 with a wing keel from a local and I'm concerned as to whether my car would be able to launch it. I have a 2015 GMC Terrain with a V6. I know I can tow it as the boat / trailer will be well below my 3500lb limit. What concerns me is launching it. My Terrain is FWD only. The trailer that the boat comes with has a tongue extension, that appears to extend pretty far.

So what do you think? Is a FWD SUV ok for launching this boat?

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
With the tongue extension you should be just fine. That will allow you to easily float the boat off the trailer before your feet get wet. Returning to land is where the trouble usually happens. If the ramp is steep then there could be an issue, but with quality tires, your truck should be able to pull a C22.