A good night for stargazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Looking to the western sky tonight finds the moon and Jupiter in close conjunction and Venus about an hour ahead. Orion is about 30 degrees east of the moon.

Mike B

Apr 15, 2007
Beneteau 43 Baltimore, MD
Saw and it looks great! The only thing that would have made it better is if we were viewing it from the boat.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
The farther away from the city lights that we can get the better the view becomes.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I have trouble keeping up with what planets are in the night sky. Or did until I found Stellarium. It's a free program. Neat features. Click on star,planet or even "empty" space and it gives you great information about whatever is there. It can drive a computerized telescope and keep it pointed at what you looking at. (Wish I could afford the scope) It even has satellite orbits in it. But what I think is the neatest feature is the landscape feature. There's an OCEAN landscape and you can feel like you're at sea while stargazing.

But it was a beautiful night and the Admiral and I stood outside for a while.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2008
Hunter 33 (Cherubini design Forked River, Barnegat Bay, NJ
I happened to see that Sunday night about 9:00. I was walking back from checking on my recently purchased 12 foot aluminum row boat ($50.00 and worth every cent of $40.00) in the lagoon around the corner. Just a sliver of moon and those two bright lights were all that was visable through the sparse clouds. It is reasonably dark in Forked River so the only distraction was the frequent flash of the strobe at the top of the Oyster Creek Nuke plant, visable for miles around. Neat stuff. Of course, knowing nothing of heavenly bodies I wondered what they were. Nice to know. Thanks.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
This is one of my favorite web sites. http://www.usno.navy.mil/
Going to the box on the right hand side of the home page is a good place to start.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
I was wrong in naming the planets with the moon. Venus is higher in the sky and Jupiter is the one closer to the horizon.

Jan 2, 2008
Hunter 33 (Cherubini design Forked River, Barnegat Bay, NJ
More neat stuff. My "atomic" watch reads to a bout a quarter second to the clock display on the web sites screen, and that is most likely transmission time over the internet.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
and lets not forget Mars is just past opposition (in Leo). That puts it transiting your local meridian just before midnight. Like most planets it is the brightest thing in Leo and has a distinct reddish color.

Status
Not open for further replies.