• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

A Global View

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Interesting looking, but not very detailed...

looks cool though.

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The south half of Lake Michigan...
I wonder what my sail will be like tomorrow ?
Like I said, cool looking, but not very useful.
A5A35168-E4FA-404E-AEDE-ABE937BF8963.png

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The south half of Lake Michigan...
I wonder what my sail will be like tomorrow ?
Like I said, cool looking, but not very useful.
View attachment 194165
If you tap where it says Earth it opens up a dialog where you can advance the time. Tap a spot on the map and the other info box will give you the wind speed at that point at the selected time.

Cool that you can see other info like ocean currents and atmospheric chemistry in one place with nice graphics. For weather forecast visualization I think I still prefer Windy though.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes Will it is a cool sight.
It enables you to gain an understanding of the dynamics associated with weather phenomena as it develops over the earth.

Greg, I agree the interface is not as friendly as Windy to manipulate. Being able to see the nature of weather as it circles the north pole brings new insights as compared the flat map presentation of NOAA or Windy. Though you start out looking at the surface, it becomes exciting to look at the 500hPa (5000 ft level). You see the bottom level of the jet stream as it starts to push/pull of the high and low pressure areas.

It is beneficial to combine several models to build situational awareness.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I think I still prefer Windy though.
There are great features on both Windy.com and this view.

This is a quick glance at hemisphere to see the key areas that control weather.
Local forecasts and trip planning, Windy does it best.
Also you can combine NOAA too.
_____
You see the bottom level of the jet stream as it starts to push/pull of the high and low pressure areas.
:plus::plus:

Jim...