a few successes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
The engine compartment on my boat was a total disaster with the sound proofing completely soaked with oil and the bilge water a slurry of anti freeze engine oil and transmission fluid and of course water. The previous owner used an abundance of oil absorbing pads but there was no way I could pump the mess out into the waterway I was enjoying in good conscious.

The oil was dripping out of the sound proofing.

What I did.
I added a Walker air separator to the engine. http://www.walkerairsep.com/product_detail.asp?id=564 This thing stops the oil fog coming out of the intake. I never experienced this but I had to assume this is where most of the oil in the soundproofing came from. It also creates a vacuum in the engine crankcase stopping all small leaks.
The Air Sep I used was Walkers smallest unit intended for diesel generators.

I also had a PSS drip free seal added to the new shaft I had installed. The Bilge is now dry as a bone. I have also purchased a aftermarket automotive coolant overflow. I hope to mount it today.

The engine compartment looks great and not a hint of oil or oily smell anywhere after running the engine for 4 hours.
I am also looking to install a exhaust fan to cool down the engine compartment as it takes many hours for the 400 lb. engine to cool down. This will help the two aft cabins stay cool.

I have two other projects I hope to complete in the next week or so. A simple Lazy Jack system and cockpit padding http://www.seadek.com/c-57-faux-teak-material.aspx I'll report back soon I hope this will be my best contribution to the combined O'day owners data bank.

To answer Joe as to when we will start our Journey, I have sailed and motored the boat enough to know and trust the systems. Sail controls are a snap since the boat was simply rigged as a charter boat. It's as easy to sail as my O'day 22.

I'm trying to get all my friends on board but scheduling is impossible. I'm just going to try my best. I'm starting to look for a window to take off. I'm thinking mid to late August. I'll keep everyone posted here http://panta-rhei.weebly.com/

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
the sound proofing completely soaked with oil and the bilge water a slurry of anti freeze engine oil and transmission fluid and of course water.

What I did.
I added a Walker air separator to the engine. It also creates a vacuum in the engine crankcase stopping all small leaks.

I am also looking to install a exhaust fan to cool down the engine compartment as it takes many hours for the 400 lb. engine to cool down. This will help the two aft cabins stay cool.
did you find any shrapnel in the soundproofing... it sounds as if the engine blew up and scattered fluids everywhere:D

be aware that the crankcase needs ventilation and a passive vacuum is accaptable, but not a sealed vacuum.... it will suck the seals out of the engine... and then there will be another fluid added to the collection in the bilge...

as for the fan.... a regular high flow engine compartment exhaust fan will be as efficient as you can get... or two of them...
in the warm temps that we normally boat in, the engine will only cool down as fast as the iron can release its heat... the temperature differential between the air and the engine is not great enough to allow it to cool very fast, even with a fan blowing directly on it..... BUT what is needed, is for the warm air in the engine compartment to be removed so the heat does not permeate the bulkheads and expel its heat on the other side....
and when installing, its essential that the fan sucks the warm air out rather than blowing cool air in...... otherwise the air displacement could push the warm air elsewhere in the boat rather than outside of it.....:)

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
The Walker unit has a regulator.

Great info on the ventilation . I'm now thinking a small and quieter fan. Maybe a cabin exhaust fan. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.