A few 260 upgrades

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
I haven’t posted in a while but I wanted to put together a summary of a few upgrades I’ve done to my boat in my first year of ownership.

1. New mainsail from Precision Sails.
Super happy with this one. Quality and price were both satisfactory, but their service was really top notch. This was the first upgrade I did as when I bought my boat the original main was trash.

2. Lewmar 16 Winches
These fit perfect in place of the stock winches and I love having a little more muscle here. Much nicer for mast raising, bosun’s chair, centerboard raising, etc. I honestly don’t use them much when actually sailing, but I like to know they are there.

3. Spinlock Cam Cleats
The retrofit model fit perfectly in place of the stock cleats and I did not have to drill new holes. This has been a game changer for sailing ease. I know some people replace the horn cleats and the angle would be better, but I wanted to retain those and also be able to use my winches.

4. Iceco 12v Cooler
This one I was excited fit perfectly in the cooler area - almost like it was made for it. I did cut ventilation for it on the sides. I leave the counter up just for extra ventillation when the system is on, but you can close the lid and it is perfectly flush.

5. New centerboard bracket.
Replaced my old one which was roached. Model from SailboatOwners was slightly different in dimensions from the stock but was close enough and worked without issue.

6. Replaced the boom vang.
Factory one was anemic. Got this from a friend who has retired from sailing. Operationally its not a huge difference, but it is easier to use.

7. New mainsail cover from the Sailors’ Tailor.
This took months to get but the quality is excellent. I didn’t go with the forum store as my mainsail is larger than stock and I suspected the store one would be very tight.

8. Added a solar vent
This and resealing a leaking centerboard column totally eliminated surface mold issues in the boat.

Additional items w/o images:
Replaced all blocks and upsized the ones for the centerboard line (and replaced the line)

Added a 12” wire to the bottom of the mainsheet block to raise it up a bit.

Replaced masthead light and wiring connectors at mast.

Installed 2 speakers in the helms seat with a Fusion stereo head down below. My boat came with a Raymarine MFD and depth sounded and I liked that Fusion interfaces over NMEA2000 to be controlled in one place.

Added a 1000w Xantrex pure sine wave inverter and an ACR between my two batteries (also replaced those).

Replaced most running rigging from RiggingOnly. I bought a complete set but am just replacing things as needed

Bought a Fortress FX-11 anchor. I want to add a bow roller but it does fit in the anchor locker for now. I’m hoping to add a stern mount for the old anchor.

Replaced teak plywood cabin sole.
Added fishing rod holders.
Replaced cupholders with stainless
LED bulbs in cabin

Made new lower hatchboard to use with a window airconditioner in the companionway

Already bought but waiting to install…
Pressurized water
100 watts of solar + victron charge
New foam queen mattress + underlay for aft berth

Attachments

Last edited:
May 30, 2020
Hunter H260 Onamia, MN
That cooler looks great! Can you share which model it is please? I can’t seem to find one that looks like that online.

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
That cooler looks great! Can you share which model it is please? I can’t seem to find one that looks like that online.
It's an IceCo VL35. Fits beautifully, and can be expanded to larger sizes vertically (would require removing the counter lid) for longer trips. Expandable 12V Refrigerator - ICECO VL35

I noticed after Prime Day it went off their website. Maybe they are out of stock. I'd just reach out and email them - they were very responsive. Also - coupon codes for around 20-25% off are plentiful.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Can you share some details on your ACR install on a 260? Mounting location etc? Upgrading my solar charging and an ACR is on the list to keep both batteries charged. Thanks!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@rs1sensen

Where the anchor roller goes, you will find encapsulated aluminum plate in the fiberglass which you can drill and tap. I suggest oval style head bolts to keep the anchor line from snagging.

On the new cabin sole floor, make sure you caulk the seam between the floor and sole to prevent water from getting underneath the floor which knowing your work, you already did that.

IF I WAS NEARBY, I PERSONALLY WOULD DRIVE OVER AND SHAKE YOUR HAND FOR A JOB WELL DONE AND THANK YOU FOR ADVISING ON YOUR WORK AS SOME DO.

I would ask if you would post your work under owners mods as my friend
@sail sfbay suggested with the appropriate link. Thank you @sail sfbay fir that suggestion.

@caverun has one of my 26o children now and he has helped me immensely on the 240. I suspect he willing to help as always.

I wish I was nearby to sail but not. I nearly bought a 23.5 a few weeks ago wanting to ask my wife but it was sold. The new buyer wants me to teach him how to sail and help do repairs. Tom at Pelican is involved and @caverun the boat will be located nearby on our lake. New owner and I are becoming close friends.

@Ottdreamer has purchased another of my 260 children and once he gets the boat across the border into Canada, he can share photos of the installation of the heat and air unit I installed. Thanks

Again, my greatest admiration to all of you helping fellow sailors means so much to me.
Thank you

Crazy Dave Condon

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
Can you share some details on your ACR install on a 260? Mounting location etc? Upgrading my solar charging and an ACR is on the list to keep both batteries charged. Thanks!
Hey Caverun - I was hoping to get some photos of my setup but forgot last time I drove up to the boat. If I head up next weekend I'll try to remember and post them here.

I bought the Blue Sea Systems M-ACR. They have a pretty good wiring diagram on the second page, here: https://d2pyqm2yd3fw2i.cloudfront.net/files/resources/instructions/980014350.pdf

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
@rs1sensen
IF I WAS NEARBY, I PERSONALLY WOULD DRIVE OVER AND SHAKE YOUR HAND FOR A JOB WELL DONE AND THANK YOU FOR ADVISING ON YOUR WORK AS SOME DO.

I would ask if you would post your work under owners mods as my friend
Hey Dave - thanks much. I really appreciate your guidance to all of us with these boats. You've been a huge help!
Open invitation for sailing if you ever find yourself in the Sarasota area!

Will do on the owners mods page. It's on my list to get photos of everything, and then I'll post there with more comprehensive info.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Nice job. Have you considered flipping the vang so that the cam cleat becket block is closer to you in the cockpit? IIRC, I did that on my Catalina 22 in the 80s and it made a big difference in ease of operation. On SF Bay, I used it a lot! :)

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
Nice job. Have you considered flipping the vang so that the cam cleat becket block is closer to you in the cockpit? IIRC, I did that on my Catalina 22 in the 80s and it made a big difference in ease of operation. On SF Bay, I used it a lot! :)
Thanks! I actually did flip it after taking this picture. It honestly doesn't get used all that much on my boat, which is why I originally rigged it this way to keep it out of the way, but it is much more ergonomic the way you suggest.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Did you install those spinlock cleats for your jib sheets (white w/red tracer line) ahead of the winch, between it and the lead block? Or am I just seeing it wrong? I'm thinking you intend to use the Lewmars for both sheets and halyard, thus figuring the snaplock cleat secures the sheet while working the halyard..... Good luck on that, but I fear you may find it some what inconvenient, under certain circumstances, when you intend the sheet to pay out quickly when working upwind, for instance. If I'm wrong on this assumption I'll apologize now for mis interpreting the photo. Otherwise, nice work and thanks for the update.

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
Did you install those spinlock cleats for your jib sheets (white w/red tracer line) ahead of the winch, between it and the lead block? Or am I just seeing it wrong? I'm thinking you intend to use the Lewmars for both sheets and halyard, thus figuring the snaplock cleat secures the sheet while working the halyard..... Good luck on that, but I fear you may find it some what inconvenient, under certain circumstances, when you intend the sheet to pay out quickly when working upwind, for instance. If I'm wrong on this assumption I'll apologize now for mis interpreting the photo. Otherwise, nice work and thanks for the update.
Hey Joe,

The spinlocks replace existing cam cleats on each side ahead of the winches. In practice, it actually works fairly well and I've been sailing on this setup for about 6 months.

There are two challenges that in theory could occur:
1. The angle of attack to release the spinlocks is about 85% ideal due to them being a bit forward. I could add 2" risers and it would make it perfect.
2. If I forget to remove the main halyard from the jib, and if the jib line happens to be under the halyard running between the rope clutch and the winch, the jib line won't be able to easily release.

The alternative is some guys will replace the horn cleat next to the winch with the spin lock, but then you lose the ability to use the winch at all.

The reality is, I only had 1&2 become an issue my first time out when I was learning the new setup. Now that I'm used to it, it isn't an issue at all. With my current setup, I raise the sail with the main halyard and the starboard winch, and then lock it down with a rope clutch, removing it from the winch.

For jib sheet control, 95% of the time I use the spin lock on its own. For those times in high wind when I need a little extra power, I can winch it tighter. The spin lock continues to hold the line. I then remove the line from the winch once it is dialed in.

It's essentially the same as the factory setup, just replacing an old cam cleat with the spin lock which servers the same function with a more convenient action.

Aug 26, 2019
Hunter 260 Eau Claire
Curious about the cooler. How long can you run it just using the boat battery? we go out for 5 plus days at a time. Solar panel?

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
Curious about the cooler. How long can you run it just using the boat battery? we go out for 5 plus days at a time. Solar panel?
One user on Amazon reported it draws 1.9 amps for about the first hour during cooldown and then .6 amps after that. I suspect mileage will vary depending on conditions.

Look up your battery type and capacity in amps to get a good idea. A lead acid battery should not be discharged more than 50%. A couple days may be reasonable. For 5 days solar would be a must.

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
@rs1sensen
Take a photo of the spin locks. I would like to see your setup for the halyards. It has been some time but photos help me to make a suggestion
A bunch of photos attached. Ignore the dirty deck, old winches and crappy centerboard line - all have been redone.

Only easy alternative I see would be to install the spin lock where the horn cleat is as I know it is a popular option, but I wanted to retain use of the winches for all lines. This setup works well 90% of the time. Would just like a little extra height on the spin lock to make activating it a bit easier, but it's not a big deal.

White/Red Line are jib sheets. Blue lines are main halyard and furling line.

Attachments