A dissenting voice

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ted

exceptions, not the norm

those were all good stories about boat speeds, and i believe they are all true cases, but they were the exceptions not the norm. anyone that really believes they can sustain haul speeds all the time on long passages only tells me they have never done a real passage.

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
trip planning

an interesting question, what speed one plans on for a passage. In my 410 I generally plan to make 6 knots during coastal passages if I'm willing to motorsail when the wind dies. Be assured that, using that figure, I more often arrive prior to my ETA than behind schedule. Eight knots will yield 192 nautical miles per day, something I've certainly done in the 410, including one passage where we strung two such days back to back in gale-force winds with a 3-man crew. This is the exception, though, because often the sails just hang there at 0400h waiting for something to happen. Can a 30 footer make Hawaii in 10 days? Stay tuned. One way or another, this talk of Hunters only being suitable for "light coastal cruising" is horsefeathers. Or ignorance.

T

Tom Hadoulias

Tom, about the Cat 36 crossing

I believe my friend is still over seas working for cruising funds. The boat was moved from Gibralter to France. The cost of keeping a boat there is almost prohibitive and he may consider selling her and retuning to the states if the cruise kitty doesn't build fast enough. When I see him I will pass on the info and perhaps he will consider relating his stories, he had a rather exciting trip and weather. The boat had some minor problems that he fixed along the way, wear and tear on equipment and sails was greater than expected and he also said he would have upgraded standing rigging and support structure even though he didn't have any failures in that area. I don't recall his crossing times but his route was Cape Canaveral to Burmuda to the Azores and final destination France after a few other stops. I will relay a message to him and hope he can lend his experiences to the Catalina website. Tom

E

Ed Schenck

Eight knots to HI, no sweat.

My sister put me on to this, enjoy the LINK below. Pretty sure Renegade is just a larger version of the H37C. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.