A Day Trip to Cumberland Island

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I ran the six odd miles over to Cumberland Island this morning intending to hike around all day. Unfortunately, I discovered that my foot was not liking walking in sand. It hasn't been quite right since my last hike on the island and a lot of walking around town hasn't helped.

I went back to the boat to have lunch and give my foot some rest. The wind came up so I decided to sail back to Saint Marys. All in all, a pretty nice day even if I didn't see as much of the island as I had planned.

Sunlight on water walking along the incredible outside beach:

I wish I had the camera and skill to capture the incredible effect of sunlight on Spanish Moss:

Until this trip, I never would have pictured Georgia this way or believed that this photo was taken in the state:

The top of a dune:

Dunes give way to marshes:

Unconcerned birds on the marsh boardwalk. Note the extensive oyster reefs:

Thomas Carnegie's mansion:

The front entrance of the mansion:

Another unsuccessful attempt to capture the ambiance of sunlight shining through the moss:

You'll just have to take my word for it.

Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
Hi Roger, looking at your images, the underside of the tree canopy (which is in the center of the camera's field of view) appears to be properly exposed, i.e., you can see it clearly, but everything else is overexposed (the color appears to be washed out). I don't know if you've tried this method but I've used it with some success when shooting beneath tree canopies.

Essentially you fake out the camera's built-in light meter by aiming at the sky through a hole in the tree canopy (or a really well-lit area underneath) then squeeze and hold the shutter lightly. The light meter will set the correct exposure for the sky but everything under the tree canopy will be darker. Holding the shutter lightly to lock that setting, aim the camera at what you want to shoot and squeeze the shutter the rest of the way to record the image. The color should also be deeper and richer. Here are a couple of examples I shot during a recent site recon:

Attachments

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Roger, I kinda like the spanish moss images. Looks like you caught the highlights on the moss and the texture of the greenery just right. I say good job Roger!

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Hey Rogers going to get a big head if you keep heaping praise on him like that. Those really are nice pictures and a beautiful looking location. So many great places to see in this country it is really an amazing place.

Status
Not open for further replies.