A Day on the Tred Avon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Is this that cruising I’ve heard people talking about? So far, I like it. Yesterday, I slept late, moved a bit over three miles to another anchorage and just hung out. After this morning’s post, I had a shower, washed the dishes, and sat out in the cockpit pondering what to do next.

I’d been intrigued by the view of the head of navigation when I turned around Sunday. There was too much wind to attempt the narrow channel up to what is humorously known as “The Port of Easton”. With strong winds in the forecast and the number of nice sheltered spots I’d noted along the river, I decided it was as good a destination as any.

I ran up the river under power, pleased not to see any sign of oil smoke from the crankcase breather reconfiguration. The narrow channel up to the port was interesting because the deep water is, for the most part, on the side opposite from what the chart indicates. I ran into on spot so hard that the bow went way down as the boat stopped but Strider backed right off. This is definitely a local knowledge area but I’m getting used to how easily such knowledge is acquired. I picked up a bit more before just turning the chart over and feeling my way with the depthsounder.

The “port” has a long dock and a closed (soon to reopen I later learned) marina with defunct businesses all around. There is good water though and I docked in the space that didn’t say “Loading and Unloading Only”. A local fellow came down with his grandson and said no one is really paying any attention to the place and I could stay overnight regardless of the signs. He then mentioned that he is about a month from launching his boat and starting cruising with his grandson so I invited them aboard for a gam.

The grandson is just the right age to introduce to cruising and was clearly enjoying being in the cabin. His grandfather is a photographer with many, many pictures in National Geographic (and the back page of the current “National Fisherman” issue). After he left, he brought the owner of the marina over to meet me. That fellow offered me the use of his gas dock if I wanted to stay the night since they haven’t opened yet. Very friendly place.

A few other people stopped by and everyone commented on the 40 knot gusts in the forecast. I hung around and waited, thinking that dock would be a nice place to be when they came but it just got calmer and nicer. Meanwhile, I hauled the dinghy out on a convenient low landing stage right at Strider's stern, scrubbed off the impressive accumulation of growth from a few weeks of mostly sitting, and put on a quick coat of wax.

I finally decided the winds weren't coming, got underway and headed about a mile down the river, easing my way around a fleet of rowing shells, and anchored in cove that should provide good protection if those winds should arrive in the night.

Tomorrow, who knows?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Exploring is such great fun. So nice to hear you back (pun intended). :):):)

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
now ur cruising mon

Very good to hear the happiness in your posts. No mention of deadlines or planned itinerary. That is what I envision cruising to be all about! Enjoy!

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
No mention of deadlines or planned itinerary.
There are a few things. Sunday at 8:00 EST, the centennial of the Titanic sinking, the History Channel is running a three hour show titled “Mystery Solved”. Although this was produced by the same documentary group I worked for on the last two shows, I have been 100% out of the loop due to non-disclosure agreements and my decision that cruising had more appeal than further involvement with the subject.

I’ll be getting together with some interested people in Oxford to watch the show. It will be fun for them because they’ll see my unrehearsed reactions. I may have to completely revise the talk I’m giving to the yacht club on the subject next Wednesday or I may be rolling on the floor laughing.

I take the title of the show with a grain of salt. I worked on one History Channel show for these folks in which I proved that sabotage was not needed to explain the loss of a vessel. In fact, the surprise was that it got as far as it did loaded the way it was. They couldn't find any indication of sabotage in the historical record. The title of the show? "Sinking By Sabotage!"

I’ll be in Oxford, with some side trips as determined by whim and weather until after my talk. I then hope the weather cooperates for a run over to Galesville to an SOS event such as I attended last fall. Plans after that depend on the timing of some crew I’m lining up for the Chesapeake to NYC legs.

BTW, I’m going to be a bit reluctant to let this turn into a Titanic forum so I hope I won’t have to politely decline too many questions. Been there, done that, got the tee shirt and cap. It hit an iceberg, the water came in, it sank, get over it:)

Status
Not open for further replies.