A Day in the Marshes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
We’re close enough to Charleston that we’re slowing down to finally do some of that cruising and exploring I’ve been talking about for the past 3000+ miles.

We woke up yesterday in this creek:

The day started with a dinghy ride down to the extensive beach of the Cape Romaine Wildlife Refuge. Incredible walk and I forgot to bring my camera. It was easily the longest expanse of beach any of us have seen that is almost totally untouched by any sign of human activity.

We then ran about seven miles down to the creek that runs out past the end of the Isle of Palms. The holding was poor and the presence of the gated community with all its “99%’ers Keep Out” signs slightly oppressive so we moved across the waterway into the marsh channels where a mother dolphin and a baby were playing as we turned one of the channel corners.

The marshes are a sea of grass:

There is even a horizon of grass.

The view across the waterway to the islands created by dredging the canal:

It’s amazing, thinking of how much attention we pay to keeping in the channel, to contemplate routinely guiding one of these along the same route:

The first thing I saw this morning as I looked sleepily out of the head porthole was a dolphin swimming by. The sunrise a few minutes later:

We’ll be departing soon for the 2-3 hour run down to Charleston.

Apr 22, 2001
Hunter 420 Norfolk, VA
Rodger,

Shhhhhhhhhh ...

You gotta stop posting stuff like this, or the next thing ya know we'll have a bunch of people coming down here from up North (somewhere) ... on their boats ... calling themselves "snowbirds" ...
trying to say stuff like ... "Y'all come back now, ya hear"
and "Lookie 'ovr yonder, there's Bubba got'im 'nother deeer

and it'll just spoil the whole dad burn thing. :snooty:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I don't know, Buck. Since I married a yankee from New York I've learned to appreciate them. I love reading what Roger has to say about South Carolina.

But I guess y'all know the difference between and yankee and a damn yankee. A yankee comes down, visits for awhile and then goes home. A damn yankee comes down and stays.

Apr 13, 2009
Irwin 33 St Pete, FL
The picture of the Tug/barge reminds me of years ago when I drove this up and down the ICW.

This pic is not the ICW but a different ditch and a few weeks before I joined her.
It was often a 4 man bridge team, 2 on 2 off, and hand steering all the way. We would meet he tugs and fortunately had a good rapport with them. They would sometimes run the barge up the bank and hold up for us to get past.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Is that the Cape Cod Canal, Capt. Andrew? Looks like my kind of cruise ship, small and intimate. We also found the tug captains to be professional and courteous, unlike some of the private power boat "captains".
Thanks for the pictures, Roger. I miss those kind of sunrises.

Nov 15, 2011
Chappaquiddick 25 25' catboat Hyannis, MA
Roger, this was written in the summer but the pictures of a marsh trying to go chartreuse reminded me of it --

We pretend that we’re pelagic but in truth
There’s naught like ending a hard beat
Nestled against a cricket sawing shore
With the Milky Way exploding overhead.
The south-southwest wind lets Venus set
On the starboard bow while soft wavelets
Slap neighboring hulls to talk to me, telling me
The anchor is secure. Tonight we’re home,
Home wherever the anchor is down,
Home where our hearts join the mud,
Home in the ooze rich with nutrients,
Home in impaleozoic slime
From which we came, to which we will return,
Home, anchored in the stream of life.

Nov 22, 2008
Ian, thank you very much for that. Do you have an author or did you write it? It's likely to go viral on the net so should have proper attribution.

Apr 13, 2009
Irwin 33 St Pete, FL
Is that the Cape Cod Canal, Capt. Andrew? Looks like my kind of cruise ship, small and intimate. We also found the tug captains to be professional and courteous, unlike some of the private power boat "captains".
Thanks for the pictures, Roger. I miss those kind of sunrises.
Actually it is the Welland Canal in the Great Lakes. And it was exactly my kind of ship also for the same reasons.

I am not retired but heading that way, and hope soon to be following Rogers wake. Actually Roger I have driven one of your designed (conversion) research vessels and had hoped to drive one that was never built for USF/FIO.

Nov 22, 2008
I have driven one of your designed (conversion) research vessels and had hoped to drive one that was never built for USF/FIO.
Oh, the Weatherbird II? How is the old girl?

You know, there is at least one, and maybe two, captains in the RV fleet that have spent their whole careers on vessels that I designed.

Apr 13, 2009
Irwin 33 St Pete, FL
Oh, the Weatherbird II? How is the old girl?

You know, there is at least one, and maybe two, captains in the RV fleet that have spent their whole careers on vessels that I designed.
Yes Weathebird II was the one. I only did relief work aboard her, and have not been aboard for a year now, at least to go to sea. She is still in fine shape. And is a real treasure for the guys (and girls) who use her and a huge upgrade from Suncoaster. If you know any other RV's that need a captain or mate I would be interested. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.