A curious day at the marina

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
Our marina recently installed a webcam looking out onto the lake. I'd prefer it looked over the boats at the docks, but oh well.

As it is, it usually isn't that interesting to watch but I happen to catch some crazy happenings yesterday.

The webcam view is of Lake Pepin on the Mississippi River. To the left side of the view is the opening into the north marina, which is where they put most of the power boaters, the smaller sailboats, and the service dock.

This sailboat came in, both main and jib up and luffing. The jib was partially furled. It looked like he was coming in hot. You can't see it in the video but there's a big sign saying the speed limit coming into the harbor is 5 mph.

It looks like there's no boom...like the clew is just tied to the backstay.

About an hour later I saw him come back out of the marina. The jib is now furled, but the main is up, looking like hell.

But the story doesn't end there. He's got to come back in, right? I had told my wife and a couple other sailors about this webcam, and about this curious boat. A couple of hours later my wife tells me he's hung up on the rocks. I pulled up the cam on my phone and scrubbed back in time to find him. He came in, the main looking even worse, and from what I could tell from the video, his outboard died just as he approached. I could see him pulling the cord over and over until he hit the rocks. He jumped off and looked like he was trying to coax it off, I guess, but with no luck. Eventually a power boater came by, pulled him off, and towed him in.

I would love to know just what was going on with guy, and this boat. When he first came in, both sails up, I had to assume there was some sort of emergency, but after seeing him go back out, then get hung up, I don't know what to think. It looks like he knew just enough to be a danger to himself and others.

boat1.jpg
boat2.jpg

Last edited:

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST
Good lord.....I've seen some crazy stuff around here during the years, but that is odd behavior.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
It looks like he knew just enough to be a danger to himself and others.
+1
(translation... could start the motor and figured out how the tiller worked)

Now you know why you have the webcam. Entertainment!
They are ok for that, but the guy in the lower left of the "towing in" photo, has a better idea.
"HEY ! Fire up the BBQ and get the beer. Looks like that guy who bought dave's old boat is taking it out again !"

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
The marina I'm at is installing webcams. One will be pointed towards the near by boat ramp. That should be good for entertainment.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Not long ago heard some radio traffic regarding "sailboat near the breakwater" , coming back in there's a submerged boat buoyed up near the entrance. Guy just ran into a mile long breakwater under sail on a perfect day, and it happens several times a year. WTF ?

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
It looks to me like his mast furler jammed and he forced it to make it over ride the sail.

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
Looks like the main is attached to the boom but the the backstay attached topping lift is still hooked to the boom - good way lo loose your rig.

Les
It's really hard to tell, but I think you're right. Maybe the boom is hitched up high to make room for the bimini.

"I can figure out this sailing thing. How hard can it be? Hold my beer..."

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
I think he is smuggling Cubans in from the mother ship. Brilliant. The east coast is way to obvious and been done to death

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Guy maybe saw this thread making fun of him and now is the new owner of a power boat, no more hassle. If you see someone waving to the webcam in a power boat, you will know who it is. This is apparently how the fellowship works to bring new blood into sailing.

Funny... "spouse cam"

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Yea you mix boys, girls, beer, and the excitement of the post-race party, and things can end up all over the place. As she's one of the more 'comfortable' boats at WYC, I've often been asked by guys if they can give someone a 'tour' of BlueJ. I'm not super fond of that idea. Makes me want to hand over a copy of one of my favorite books. ;^)

29683244_10211635370543047_3072709357600897148_n.jpg

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
almost looks to me like the boom is connected to the clew of the sail and then hanging down into the cockpit....I dunno, WEIRD. (mast raising system???)

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
in the video it looks like he attached his partially-unfuled main to his backstay for some inexplicable reason: like losing a boom?