a couple of newb questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 25, 2012
Macgregor 25 Driveway
So I have my M25 ready to test launch on Saturday. I just had two questions I wanted to ask before I go out:

1. Kick-Up rudder: I assume gravity keeps it down, but there are several holes drilled in the rudder, one with a rope tied through it near the top of the rudder, and a pulley and cleat on the upper piece. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it's to be able to pull the rudder up when necessary, but for the life of me I don't know how it's meant to be run. Any explanation?

2. I've test flown the sails in my driveway, and noticed that if I use the clevis pin on the front of the boom to hold the tack of the mainsail in place, it really seems to distort the tack of the sail. Is this normal/expected? Is it better to tie off the tack of the sail to the boom?

thanks,

Geof

May 22, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Diego
Doesn't the tack of your mains'l have a downhaul?

Dave
Trial and Error
San Diego

Jan 25, 2012
Macgregor 25 Driveway
just a brass grommet in the corner. There was a hole drilled in the boom that had a clevis pin in it. Having never rigged a sailboat before, and since the Mac "manual" doesn't have any real information, I'm just guessing how this stuff is meant to go together. I have some spare ropes if someone can suggest what I need to do? What the usual rigging of that part?

(the sail looks to be original, with a faded M25 at the top)

Geof

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
You should have a lock down bolt for your keel. Lower your keel until the cable is slack, then crank it up until the holes line up, you can feel it with the lock down bolt. It takes about 8 turns after you hear the winch starting to click.

The main tack should be attached to your boom with a clevis pin. There should be a hole at the end of the track.

Here is a picture of the lock down bolt and tack hole.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Just in case you have any questions about how the main sheets are rigged.

Attachments

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
The tack pin only lines up if you use the bolt rope but if you have slugs you will have to move it back because the slugs allow the luff of the sail to move back back.

Jan 25, 2012
Macgregor 25 Driveway
its the standard bolt ropes, luff and foot. I've got the pin, so I'll use it. Its just that during the test rig, it deform the shape in the corner. Maybe, when its full of wind, it will look more normal.

any thoughts on the rudder? Does anyone have the rope on their rudder laced up? Any pictures of how you set it up?

thanks,

Geof

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
If you could post a picture of what you have it would help.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
abruzzi
You also asked about your rudder. Attached is a pic of how I have mine set up. Yours is probably similar and it is possible the block on your rudder was there just to make things run smoother. As you can see from the drawing, a single line is run through a cleat on the rudder stock and down to two holes (fore and aft) on the rudder blade. To hold it in the up position, pull the line forward taught through the cleat and loop it once or twice around the cleat horns. This is important while launching so you don't drag the rudder on the ground backing up. Then to hold the rudder in the down position, you pull the line aft taught through the cleat and loop it a few times around the horns. Very simple and effective. I guess you could also use shock cord and that would give your rudder some "kick up" qualities if you ever struck bottom.

r

Attachments

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Here are some photos of my rudder and rudderhead. The downhaul cleat (with the black line) is a self-releasing type. HTH.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2012
Macgregor 25 Driveway
Thanks all--I think I have enough to proceed. Barring weather hiccups, tomorrow is first launch day--and the forecast is high 60's and 15 knot winds. Assuming I don't drown, I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Geof

ggooch

Apr 12, 2010
Hunter 30 Michigan City, IN
Attachment of Block

Could I bother you to take a picture of how exactly the turning block at the bottom of the stock is attached?

Thanks!
Geoff

Here are some photos of my rudder and rudderhead. The downhaul cleat (with the black line) is a self-releasing type. HTH.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Could I bother you to take a picture of how exactly the turning block at the bottom of the stock is attached?

Thanks!
Geoff
Of course. It looks like the PO used a cheek from a discarded block. The new one has a plate where you might attach a flat-based cheek block. I'm about due for the new one!

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2012
Macgregor 25 Driveway
thanks for all your help. I had a semi-successful day sailing--until the forecast 12mph winds turned into 25mph winds gusting to 35.

what I didn't get before I went out was that the lower portion of the rudder is buoyant and the rope and pulley are necessary to pull it down into position.

Status
Not open for further replies.