A broken Stern Tube can sink the boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
Motoring in the channel after a day of sailing, about a mile and a half from the marina, the bilge pump came on and stayed on. I was sailing alone; I jumped below and found the engine compartment full of water. Felt for the engine raw water intake value now under water and shut it. Returning to the deck I was thinking of beaching the boat so it would sink in shallow water. Then I saw the Coast Guard patrol. They put two men aboard and a large pump and saved the boat. On the way to the slip they said the leak was likely in the stern tube area as the majority of both sail and powerboats that are sinking do so from the stern area, where the prop shaft enters the boat. They stayed with me at the slip and stopped the leak. (BoatU.S. towing insurance said that the boat was now salvage and would charge $100 a foot to come out and stop the leak. This is a long story for another time.) Thanks to the Coast Guard, they saved the boat. My boat is a 1980 33’ with a bronze stern tube. I suspect many Hunters of this vintage have the same stern tube. J. Tesoriero warned of this problem found on his 1980 ’30 in this forum in 2003 and Ed Schenck is always saying to change out all bronze fittings. Just before my buying this boat the prior owner had the prop shaft replaced. He fouled a line and bent the shaft. The work was done at a St. Petersburg Marina and from outside appearances I thought this was the last place I had to worry about. You can see the problem with the tube in the attached photo. In addition to electrolysis, another member of this forum Terry Arnold when looking at the tube, found the thin sidewall to be a source of the problem. The point is when you have the boat pulled take off the rubber hose covering the stern tube and examine this bronze tube closely. In the water, you may be able to see if the drive shaft is centered and o.k. or is off-center and wearing on the side of the stern tube. Any doubts or an old tube you are unsure about, I would recommend replacing this part with a new one. Another outcome from this experience was that the engine’s flywheel kicked up salt water into the starter. Although I started the engine the next day, after two weeks of not running the starter’s internals were rusted and to be replaced. This happened three months ago, the engine and boat are running well, knock on wood.

RC

Dec 17, 2005
- - San
Know Your Boat

Hi Paul and everyone, Can you imagine being in the middle of the ocean and have that happen? Things like this are why it is so important to look under that floorboard, behind that locker, or around that last corner. None of you are truly safe until you can stand beside your boat at the dock at look through it as though it were transparent, seeing everything there is to see as though it were right there in front of your nose. When was the last time you completely off-loaded your boat, washed it out, and inspected everything? Are all of your thru-hulls even accessible? Do you even know where they all are? When was the last time you "excercised" that valve? Bronze thru-hulls all have a sacraficial 1/8NPT pipe plug in them made of brass to protect the ball against electrolysis. Have you ever changed it? You can't rely upon the boatyards to maintain your boat. It is up to all of you. Now how about that line drawing for the C37? !! Regards, Robert.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
Amen

The stern tube is one of those things that is almost impossible to inspect for such a failure. On my boat (1980, H30), the fracture occured at the very end of the season and only leaked enough to make me think that it was something minor. When the boat was put back in the water in the spring the yard again noted a minor leak at the shaft but thought that it was from the "dripless packing". Only until they removed the engine, the shaft and the shaft seal did they find the fractured stern tube. I did not see the broken fitting but my mechanic (who I trust) said it did not appear to an electrolysis problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.