A Bad Taste

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I'm not one to vent and I generally wouldn't say a bad thing about anybody but I am a little ticked off. Here's my story. We booked a 2 night stay in Newport RI at Casey's Marina. It's the second time we've done it. The first was a good experience but the last was a horror. It was the weekend of the Newport Folk Fest and we were meeting friends of my wife. We had told them about how wonderful it was the previous year. I was quoted $5/ft per night 2 nights and reserved our stay a week earlier. We got there and everything was fine. I was slipped in front of a 167' sailboat Friday night. Saturday we picked up our friends and took the short trip to Fort Adams to anchor. It was a bit windy but all and all a beautiful day until we returned. There was a 187 ft motor yacht on the dock with no room for us. I called both Casey's cell and office number to see where he was going to put me. This went on for at least a half hour. I finally pulled into a neighboring private dock to retrieve my folding bikes and my new smart plug power cord. He never returned any of my calls. This was July 22. Well today my visa bill came in and he charged me 340.00. I tried again calling and leaving messages. I know he sells diesel and those mega yachts use a lot but that is no way to treat a boater. I am fighting the charge. In eight seasons of sailing this is the first time I feel I got screwed.
BTW. That second night there wasn't a slip or a mooring to be had. We had to anchor out and we didn't bring our dinghy. Thank God they were running a launch service to the anchorage!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
So sorry to hear of your unhappy experience at Casey's. However, I think what you experienced is not all that uncommon, regrettably. I have friends who have related similar treatment over the years, plus I've been booted off moorings and have arrived for my slip or end-tie "reservation" only to find, usually, a big powerboat taking all or nearly all of the available dock space. The guy might have had some status beyond a big diesel purchase, you just don't know. But protesting the bill is very justified and I know I would do the same. Once I was expecting a slip in the harbor at Redondo Beach, but when we arrived just before dark--no go. I called the harbor master to ask for some help and was told that I could anchor up close behind the breakwater, but two anchors was required. Lucky for me I had the two anchors, and my "back-up" dinghy, a 6', 7" Cadet, was stowed below. (This was on a Pearson 30.) Since then, I've always carried the two anchors and a dinghy even if going to a marina. The same thing happened to a friend there at Redondo who did not have the gear, and he returned after dark the 15 n.mi. to Long Beach. Spoiled that weekend for him.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
$5.00/ft??
Typical transient cost per night in my case $150.00/night. I only did it for my wife's friend whom has been battling stage 3 ovarian cancer. It made it easier to board and gave us a place to have a drink without using a dinghy. I usually anchor or pick up a mooring which runs from 40 - 60 a night depending on area.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
I had to move for this guy to get out. The mega yacht that took it's place was longer.
Newport.JPG

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Luxury Sailing Yacht MITseaAH for Sale
Sailing yacht MITseaAH has been touted as one of the most ground-breaking launches of the new century. Built in 2004 by UK shipyard Pendennis, the motorsailor is capable of performing under high speed from either sail or power. The 47.5 metre MITseaAH sleeps 10 guests in five lavish cabins.

The stylish exterior of this luxury vessel is from the design of Liebowitz & Prichard, presenting her 509-square-metre mainsail and carbon fibre masts and boom with impact. Among her on deck highlights are a Jacuzzi dip pool and extensive audio visual entertainment package.

Below decks the generous accommodations include a master suite and four guest cabins each with en suite, sophisticated décor and comfortable furnishings.

Luxury yacht MITseaAH is powered by a MAN Paxman 12VLP engine that gives her a top speed of 25 knots and allows her to cruise comfortably at 20 knots. She is currently for sale from her base in Newport, Rhode Island, USA.

I wrote a post about thinking of moving up, what do you think? Anyone interested!

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
I would get Visa involved as they will take on Casey. If you did not get the service, you do not have to pay.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
OD beat me to it! Don't mess with such scum; contact your card holder and they will smoke them!
I am amazed at the prices you guys pay! Stu spent 2 overnights in his 34' Catalina at best marina (Spud Point) in Bodega Bay and it cost him $30 a day! I pay $260 a month for full service 40' slip at Spud Point Marina.
Chief

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Chief,
I spoke with Visa as soon as I saw the charge. I don't understand it, he seemed like a pretty nice guy when we rented from him in 2015. It is Newport and it was the weekend of the Folk Fest.A mooring in Newport is $40./night and $60/night in Nantucket. The typical cost of a seasonal slip is around $195/ft. You got it good.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Basically, the rates follow the laws of supply and demand. What do you think the hotels charge in Newport at the height of their 'season'? Spud Point? On Ste. Pomme de Terre? :cowbell:

Aug 31, 2013
Hunter 26 Saylorville-Des Moines
The Newport Folk Festival is peak season. It's a great town in the summer, and agree the credit card company should handle the disputed charge. What a frustration - glad it mostly worked out.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Luxury Sailing Yacht MITseaAH for Sale
Sailing yacht MITseaAH has been touted as one of the most ground-breaking launches of the new century. Built in 2004 by UK shipyard Pendennis, the motorsailor is capable of performing under high speed from either sail or power. The 47.5 metre MITseaAH sleeps 10 guests in five lavish cabins.

The stylish exterior of this luxury vessel is from the design of Liebowitz & Prichard, presenting her 509-square-metre mainsail and carbon fibre masts and boom with impact. Among her on deck highlights are a Jacuzzi dip pool and extensive audio visual entertainment package.

Below decks the generous accommodations include a master suite and four guest cabins each with en suite, sophisticated décor and comfortable furnishings.

Luxury yacht MITseaAH is powered by a MAN Paxman 12VLP engine that gives her a top speed of 25 knots and allows her to cruise comfortably at 20 knots. She is currently for sale from her base in Newport, Rhode Island, USA.

I wrote a post about thinking of moving up, what do you think? Anyone interested!
Useless under sail with her undersized rig. She's a perennial port Washington summer visitor.

Every so often she starts her diesels and she literally bathes the entire are in a thick black fog.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Always pays to check on local events and have a backup plan or reservation. I would totally write negative reviews since they never responded AND had the nerve to charge you. I'd probably had tied up anywhere and then let them find me.