96 ballast valve needs enlarged? Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2004
- - Boardman, Or
HELP!! Doing the Spring thing and the ballast valve is on the list. I have a 96 Mac 26x and that little valve in the stern is irritating. Can I put a larger valve in without doing major damage? Also, the stern is cored, so how do I seal it so it doesn't rot? Can one of you who have done this, walk me through the procedures, if it can be done?

T

Tony Houk

Try Macgregorsailors.com

Try Macgregorsailors.com . It is a great site for a lot of info. I bet they could help. Happ sails, Tony

Dec 6, 2003
Macgregor 26D Pollock Pines, Ca.
Just wondering why....

you would want to enlarge the ballast tank drain valve? To get it to drain faster? Don't know on the X, but on the D model it does take a while to get all of the water out, but it's not a big deal, at least to me. It usually takes me longer to get the boat ready for the road than it does for the tank to drain, but if it isn't empty by the time I'm ready to go, I have no problem with letting it drain on the road on the way home.

Feb 13, 2004
- - Boardman, Or
The Why is a Good Question

I sail and motor on the Columbia....Eastern Oregon......I have long distances to travel and few fuel stops......I want to drain that tank asap for more speed and better fuel economy.....an empty tank makes the boat quick .....a full tank makes the boat sluggish, which I desire in rough water, but Summer Smoothies need a fast cruiser, not a pig boat. Next and most important, I have trouble getting the boat all the way drained.....it is unsafe to have the ballast half full or 3/4 full......the boat can roll.......I want the ballast tanks full or empty, and done quick.......I did trailer it home the other day and it did take almost 10 minutes to drain as I pulled it up the ramp........thank goodness I had the ramp to myself............

R

Ralph Kuhn

Too cautious to drill out

There are a couple of relevant threads in the forum archives. search 2003 "forever to drain ballast" 2004 Check out "ballast pump" rather than enlarge and modify I'm optimistically going for the ballast pump solution this year on my '97 26X

Feb 13, 2004
- - Boardman, Or
Pump It Up

I have thought of the pump also, really concerned about "blowing" the tank at her weak spots......I really would like a larger valve to do what the tanks are designed to do, drain at speed......the 96 tanks are made wrong and the smaller valve compounds the problem......I am going to research well consider the options and likely DRILL....hands shaking and heart pounding, because their ain't no goin back.......

A

Andy

Bigger valve on newer models I believe.

I noticed two MacGregor 26s in the lot and noticed one had a small valve and another had a much bigger valve. I don't know much about them but I immediately assumed the smaller valve was an earlier model and that MacGregor had gotten complaints that it took too long to drain so put a bigger valve on the new models! I'm sure when you are draining while underway (and on plane!), every minute counts.

R

Ralph Kuhn

Share results please

Randy: Good for you. If done well, enlarging the hole is fundamentally the correct solution. Please take a few photos and share them with those too meek to try. (this year) May your gelcoat cure true. Thanks in advance Ralph.

K

Ken

Ditto

I too would like a progress report. I'm not really interested in draining my 96X faster. BUT, convincing the water to "go in" faster would be my goal. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.