91 Seaward 23 Portholes

Sep 11, 2020
Hake Yachts Seaward 23 Lake Lanier
Hello, just purchased a 1991 Seaward 23 and new to the forum. I was wondering if anybody can tell me who made the stainless steel portholes and is it possible to get parts for them? Also, any advice on how to service them / replace seals? I’m not sure what caused it, but it looks like the glass is foggy and maybe water got in between the 2 plates of glass. Any information and advise would be much appreciated!

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Sorry cannot help you with the original porthole manufacturer. If all you wan to do is replace the lens and seals then remove then remove them, dismantle them, buy new lens to fit and new gasket, reassemble and reinstall. The following youtube video entitled "How to Rebuild a Sailboat Porthole" shows how rebuild them.

Sep 11, 2020
Thank you! Very helpful video. Do you think that the gasket/seals are porthole specific or maybe some kind of generic material that can be used on any porthole? Biggest reason I am interested in the manufacturer is so I know where to go to try to acquire the parts I may need to do the job.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I understand your requirement, which is an OEM gasket “kit” that contains a preformed piece of gasket material that fits your specific port perfectly. If it is a standard commercially available port hole it could be from any number of manufacturers like Bomar, like the one below, Perko, Beckson, Vetus, Spartan, Gray Marine and Taylor so you might contract them for the gasket kit for your porthole size IF they support your model. If you cannot find one, the next step is to carefully remove the gasket and take it to your local marine store or mail it to you on-line store like Defender (Boat Hatch Gaskets and Marine Weather Stripping) for identification, where you can buy new generic gasket by the foot in-kind shape, size and material.
1600008303096.png

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Try Manship for your questions. I believe they manufactured the portlights on the earlier Seawards.

Sep 11, 2020
Thank you, YES, I think you are correct. We are reaching out to Man Ship now to see what they have to say about the condition of the glass. They look like they are frosted / foggy - some worse than others. Unable to clean and make clear. Maybe they are not really glass?