9.9 motor on Hunter 23?

Apr 28, 2018
Hunter 23 LaCrosse WI
I’m getting to an age where I need electric start on my Hunter 23. I think that means a 9.9 outboard. Has anyone done this? I need advice if I need to reinforce the transom. Bill Leathen Bill.leathen@aol.com

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have a tohatsu 6 on my H26 and it is plenty big enough. I know tohatsu makes an electric start 6 but I’m not sure if they have it in the long shaft version

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
I had a 9.9 on my Hunter 23.5. Too much motor. Too much weight. Now a 6 HP on a Capri 22. Starts on first pull and light.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I may have been wrong about Tohatsu making a 6 HP electric start. I looked for it and can't find it.

But I do think a 9.9 is too big for the H23 since I used to have a Honda 9.9 on my H26 and felt it was too big.

But instead of an electric start... have you considered an electric O.B.? No starting needed. Just turn the handle and go.

The price and run time of these electric O.B.s are now to the point where they are competitive with a gas O.B. and you can run silent.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Go for it. I put an electric start electric tilt 9.9 Honda on the back of my Mac 22 and have not regretted it since. It's oversized for the boat but I could not find smaller motor with an electric start at the time. I had to go to a larger motor mount and beef up the hull a bit. It is quieter than the old 2 cycle and a lot heavier to get on and off of the boat so I had to beef up the stern so to leave it on while trailering. Was pretty much a slam dunk decision after trying to dock on the Columbia river with the old motor dying multiple times right when I need to be steering, not pull starting a motor at the ramp.

Apr 28, 2018
Hunter 23 LaCrosse WI
Go for it. I put an electric start electric tilt 9.9 Honda on the back of my Mac 22 and have not regretted it since. It's oversized for the boat but I could not find smaller motor with an electric start at the time. I had to go to a larger motor mount and beef up the hull a bit. It is quieter than the old 2 cycle and a lot heavier to get on and off of the boat so I had to beef up the stern so to leave it on while trailering. Was pretty much a slam dunk decision after trying to dock on the Columbia river with the old motor dying multiple times right when I need to be steering, not pull starting a motor at the ramp.
Lloyd. Can you describe what you did to beef it up. Thanks Bill.leathen@aol.com

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
The previous owner had put a piece of half inch ply inside the hull and behind the lightweight motor mount on the stern of the boat. The plywood was beginning to show its age and it was a smaller footprint than apparently needed for the new motor mount. The newer motor Mount also need to be placed 2 inches further away from the face of the stern in order to operate the motor properly. Rather than building out from the stern with an elaborate waterproof plywood and fiberglass assembly I chose to just go with composite decking boards and longer bolts. That solution also allows me to take the new motor to the new three foot longer boat without changing the Mac from its original configuration.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Bill, I sent you a message. Do have the original OB bracket? You are dealing also with a reverse transom with a stern that will need reinforcement and so on Also 9.9 is over powered. I know this boat all to well