9.2A Bulkhead Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I bought a 1981 S2 9.2A this spring. Prior to purchase, the surveyor noted that both main bulk heads needed repair, due to leaky chain plates. The port side was badly damaged, while damage on the starboard side was more limited, with only the aft doubler needing replacement. Dennis did a good job and took some nice photos. The surveyor approved of the repair and we went ahead with the purchase. One thing not visible, is that Dennis sealed the edges of the plywood before installing. This design with the doublers (smaller sheets of plywood sistered to the main bulkheads) really allowed for a nice cosmetic repair as well. I could have done a nicer job matching the stain though ;-) I'll have to post some photos of that later.

Attachments

Mar 14, 2007
S2 9.2A Seattle, WA
I did the same repair on the Port bulkhead of my 1976 9.2A. I use plywood on the first try and the finish was so terrible that I took it back out and replaced it with Honduras Mahogany. The finish now matches well and it should last as long as I do. The key to prevention is to monitor the deck plates around the rigging and keep it well sealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.