89 Hunter 30G chainplate anchor inspect before rebed of chainplates

Apr 16, 2014
Hunter 30G 0 Oriental NC
I had seen quite a few these older Hunter boat chainplate anchors that had rotted out due to use of steel instead of stainless steel. Decided to do an inspect on both sides before trying to re-bed my chainplates. Drilled a 3/8 hole and used a Borescope. On the larger Hunters the chainplate Anchor is and angled piece bolted in. Here you see this is just a flat 1/4 inch plate and "encapsulated" in fiberglass, no bolts. You can imagine how bad this is when moisture gets in an can't get out. As far as I am aware there had never been any leaks in the chainplate to allow the moisture in. You may have an issue just from just high humidity with a arrangement like this right... Keep the cabin dry.

If it had been a rotted-out anchor plate, unlike the larger Hunters boats of this era, on the Hunter 30G and 30T there is no room to make a cut "down hull" in the fiberglass to remove the Anchor plate from the inside. Think a good option in this case, is to run one or more shrouds to the toe rail with U bolts and backing plates. I see on the later year Hunter 33.5 they did just that

Attachments

Last edited: