87 Oday 192 - Swim Ladder

mbiang

May 1, 2020
Oday 192 Lake Medota
Looking for a swim ladder for my 192. Any recommendations on something that will work well with the transom. Also, has anyone installed one of these before? Any tips for the install?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
There has been a fair amount of past discussion around swim ladders on the Mariner 19 Website. A popular model seems to be the TT-3X telescoping ladder
IMG_1805_-298126458.JPG.png

This is a picture of the VP of Communications transom.

Mariners have a hollow space between the outer transom and the cockpit transom. The 192 may also. Backing plates are strongly recommended.

Amazon.com: Windline TDL-3X Marine Stainless Steel Over Platform Telescoping Boat Ladder with 3 Steps: Sports & Outdoors
The Amazon link is for a platform mount, but a transom mount is availible.

Be aware, this is a minimal boarding ladder, it is probably a little less than what you want if you are regularly using it as a swim ladder.

-Will (Dragonfly)

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
You can install the ladder on the port side of the transom but get ready to crawl into a pretty tight spot through the hatch. Definitely have someone there with you to help you get out. I found wearing a good belt is the best way to have someone pull you out of there if need be.

The transom is pretty thick but backing plates never hurt.

I made a mini swim platform with a detachable ladder on my 192. The little step / platform is good enough most of the time but the ladder is attached with quick pins if I’m in deeper water or have someone not as nimble trying to get back in.

Original ladder:

A9BD7CEE-5BB4-4F12-A28D-5D94B3C07E2C.jpeg

Version 2.0

018BB4DE-3631-4512-A8A9-A4B2EA966B12.jpeg

Edit:

If you’re crawling into that lovely tight spot between the hull and cockpit, check your cockpit drain hose and fittings so you don’t have to crawl back in again later. My 192 is a 1988 and that hose was crumbling when I got in there, definitely worth a look while you’re in there.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You can install the ladder on the port side of the transom but get ready to crawl into a pretty tight spot through the hatch. Definitely have someone there with you to help you get out. I found wearing a good belt is the best way to have someone pull you out of there if need be.
And brace the stern so your weight doesn't pitch the boat back so you can't get out.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 29, 2015
Oday 222 Lake N ockamixon, pa
Ug! I have replaced the motor mount by putting an 8 inch inspection plate in the gas locker; but crawling into the port side area, what a mess! I think a previous owner of my 222 opened the partition between the cabin and that port locker and crawled into that area. Get help from a small person to do that job. One who doesn't get claustrophobia. Maybe there's a bolt with a toggle that you can install from the outside. Good luck.

mbiang

May 1, 2020
Oday 192 Lake Medota
Thanks for the replies! I'll let you all know how it goes when I get around to it!

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I have removed the plywood back panel from the port quarter berth, and crawled in over the lazarette. No, it's not comfy, but it allowed me to remove the swim ladder to reseal with butyl, and beef up the plywood backing, as well as inspect the cockpit drain hose. Mounting your ladder of choice is quite doable. I would recommend something with a wider, flatter rung than the tubular SS ladder on my boat. I've seen the extending ladder like recommended by Will Gillmore on some Flying Scots. My feet would definitely be thankful for that type of ladder. Ugh, I gotta figure out something for mine.