87 Hunter 28.5 reefing the jib

Aug 24, 2020
Hunter 28.5 Portsmouth
I'm new to this so please bear with me. Can another 28.5 owner explain to me how to reef the jib? I have an 1987 model which I believe has the original continuous roller furling system on it and I had two experienced sailors look at it and they couldn't figure it out either. Am I missing something or is this particular system not capable of reefing the jib? Thanks.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the forum @Shaw_2112 A picture is worth... well a lot when it comes to solving these type issues. Boats come out of the factor, then we owners get a hold of them and we change things.

Reefing a jib is done a couple of ways. Depends on how it is attached to the forestay.

If you roll the sail up on a furler, think of the system like toilet paper. You roll out how much you think you need to use. Too much, then roll some back.

Old school sailors attached the jib with a serious of clips to the forestay wire. Reefing this type is like using a window blind. You raise or lower the sail to the height you need. Tie the halyard off, then tie down the tack (that is the bottom luff part of the sail) to the bow. Some say, is still on deck. Move the sheets to the reef clew and your sailing. This is rather ugly arrangement But it can work in a pinch. Since sailors generally like neat and tidy, most chose to have more than one foresail onboard. Then it was a simple job of changing to a smaller Sail when the winds came up. You need a big sail locker if your going to carry sails for all types of wind conditions.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your boat.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We probably have the same Hood system. To reef you should just have to cleat the side of continuous line that wants to return to the drum. That should hold fast the jib that wants to unfurl. Between the cleated jibsheet and the cleated furling line, the jib should be set.

• Helpful
Aug 24, 2020
Hunter 28.5 Portsmouth
so little research has determined that the Hood 810 furling system is not capable of reefing, looks like I'm going to have to find an alternative.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
The original Hood continuous line furler is not worth keeping. I replaced mine on my ‘86 28.5 after the first year of ownership. I bought a Selden Furlex and think it was one of the best investments I made for the boat.