85 Oday 28 Main Sheet Traveler

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
This is the only feature I do not like about this boat. I have lived with it for many years but it is not getting easier to operate as I get into my 70's. It's nice it's not located in the cockpit (O'day moved to above main hatch at some point), but the downside is the effort to reach and adjust. Has anyone retrofitted a better solution?

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
My '85 O'28 had the traveler mounter on the cabin top.. Are you saying that yours is in the cockpit? If so, just forward of the helm or in the way of the companion way?

In either scenario, perhaps a relocate to the cabin top with sheets long enough to make the helm..

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Do you have the original traveler control stops where you have to pull up a pin and slide the stop manually along the traveler track? Or has it at least been upgraded to a line control traveler?

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
If you have a line control traveler I suggest one solution is a continuous long line running back to your pedestal. I have done this on my 30 Catalina and it works well for me. Probably use it more than the mainsheet. By the way I am several years ahead of you.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Do you have the original traveler control stops where you have to pull up a pin and slide the stop manually along the traveler track? Or has it at least been upgraded to a line control traveler?
Original stock. No lines, just the slide and pin setup

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
My '85 O'28 had the traveler mounter on the cabin top.. Are you saying that yours is in the cockpit? If so, just forward of the helm or in the way of the companion way?

In either scenario, perhaps a relocate to the cabin top with sheets long enough to make the helm..
Mounted on cabin top.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
change to a line system. The purchase on it will make adjustments a breeze. I replaced my bridgedeck mounted traveler with a Harken system. The track on it is a groove, so ANY bolt spacing will work. The only complaint is the plastic bails on the actual car.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
So how do I order something like that? Track must be changed out I expect. right? Sounds like not a simple job. Where are the lines stowed?

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Garhauer will have, or make, blocks that will replace the end stops on your existing track. They are not separately on their website but are similar to the control blocks on their traveler MT-1( or you might be able to use the same blocks from the MT-1). Using these and a little modification to the existing traveler car I was able to upgrade to a line control traveler for relatively little money using my existing track. Didn't even have to remove the old track to remove the old stops and put on the new end blocks. If you want, they can fabricate the end blocks so the line will exit the block where you might need it to go. They made mine to swivel which helped the lines lead inside my dodger. Call them and they will help you come up with a solution.

I was, and am, very happy with this upgrade. The old pin stop system was terrible.

Here are some pics I had from back then.

Edit: The above is based on my assumption that the 28 cabin top traveler is the same as 31, which I think it is. If not I'm sure Garhauer can still help you out .

. traveler car and control end block -02.jpgtraveler car and control end block.jpgtraveler control end   - top.jpgtraveler car.jpgtraveler car 2.jpg

dfp51

Jun 26, 2019
O'Day 28 Lorain, Ohio
On our 85 28, we just replaced the original pin style traveler with the Garhauer model. Took the old track off, sent it to Guido and he made a new track to fit. Came with the cars installed, and all we had to do was bolt it back on through the original holes. It went on like butter, and I probably spent two hours total taking the old one off and putting the new one on, including clean up. Our traveler is located in front of the companionway instead of on the deck, would bet that install would be even easier since you don't have to take the electrical panel out to reach the original bolts.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Thanks, Fellas. I will take some photos over the weekend so I (we) can be sure I have a set up that fits your solution(s). This is a bridge type set up so must be strong, thick track due to only small-area attach points. Much obliged for the help. Richard is 100% correct: The old pin-stop system is terrible and you have to put one foot on top of the nav. table rail to get any kind of mechanical advantage to move the side, which can only be done by loosening the main sheet. Just awful 25 years ago and worse now at age 74.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Yes, that looks very similar to my original. Your traveler car is a bit different as you can see from my pictures and it looks like your track might have a little more dish (for lack of a better word) to it than mine. That might just be the angle of the picture though. The riser blocks and stop blocks look just like mine. My mainsheet block at the traveler car is Schaefer and looks just like yours.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Take a look at this traveler setup on sale at Defender. If you could figure out that those components fit your track that might be a good deal for $379.

ttps://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=118457

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Take a look at this traveler setup on sale at Defender. If you could figure out that those components fit your track that might be a good deal for $379.

ttps://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=118457
Thanks, but wonder how I figure that fitment out? Maybe only way is to contact Schaefer? I thought you stated you used your originally installed track or did I misunderstand?