85 34' Hunter Strut Replacement

Jul 23, 2014
Hunter 34 Jacksonville, FL
So, our prop broke recently while underway (that was exciting) and while I was able to dive and replace it with a new to me prop, I noticed that the bearing inside the strut is either worn or completely missing. I am wondering, has anyone attempted to replace the strut or just the bearing while the boat is still in the water? I am kind of needing to do this as the boat is in transition of being moved from the purchase port to it's new home port, yeah somewhere in between is where we broke down.

Replacing the prop under water wasn't all that hard, even though the water wasn't all that clear. But, I didn't see the bolts for the strut and from online pictures, they seems to be countersunk.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
You need to pull the shaft to replace the strut if that's what you intend to do. That's probably not a very good idea to do in the water. Most likely you're thinking about changing the cutlass bearing, and that also requires pulling the shaft, and that's also not a good thing to do in the water.
When you get the shaft back in, you do want the boat in the water before you true up the collar, because the hull will flex and any adjustments made on the hard will be off once it's in the water.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
This is a task (strut removal) that can not be done in the water. You can do it without pulling the shaft (as I have done) but due to the alignment you may have to do, you won't be able to stem the water flow. You are correct in the fact that the strut screws are counter sunk. One thing to avoid is gluing the strut to the hull. You want it to make a positive contact with a hard surface so it can't flex and can be removed again if necessary. The only thing that needs sealant are the four screw holes.

Cutless bearing removal tools can be fabricated yourself, bought or rented. If you can get away with that initially, that could be done in the water. Lots of information related to that here.

Here is a link to my strut removal and realignment. It wasn't that hard to do. You just have to be patient in getting things lined up using the shaft.

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...ving-strut.180524/&highlight=allan12210 strut

And a link to my home made cutless removal tool if you have the time to have one built for you.

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...-bearing.175971/&highlight=allan12210 cutless

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Unfortunately, ya prolly have to get the boat out of the water to do that work.. There are tools that many yards have that allow ya to change the Cutless bearing in the strut while the shaft is still in place. but it would be a really difficult job to do with the boat in the water. You do not want to pull the strut unless it has been damaged or is severely corroded. It is precisely bedded onto the hull and replacing it cannot be done while in the water.. The bolts retaining the strut are under the aft bunk, but ya really do not want to mess with them unless you are out of the water.. Typically, the prop comes off then a split tool is used to push the bearing out.. then a new one goes over the shaft and a tool is used to press the new bearing in place. There may be a set screw holding the bearing in place that has to be loosened to get the old one out.
I had that happen on a trip but luckily I was close to a pretty good yard in Pensacola. Prop and strut had bad electrolysis .. prop threw a blade.. unbalance broke the strut off right above the bearing. ..
EDIT: Allan beat me to the post !

Jul 23, 2014
Hunter 34 Jacksonville, FL
Thanks everyone. Hauling the boat hopefully Friday to inspect and replace the cutlass bearing. Seems I must haul the boat just to be able to order a replacement bearing.

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
Are you planning on doing this job yourself? You could order one from SBO I would call them at least.
If you are having the yard do the replacement they will have access to different size bearings.
My cutless was called "Back". I don't know why or how they name cutless bearings maybe it's easier to order them that way.
You can measure the shaft diameter at the transmission and know for sure the size. I'm betting that it's 1 inch and the above mentioned bearing is the one you'll need.
You shouldn't need to pull until you have the bearing in hand.
Sorry this was in response to you other post on this subject.