84 Hunter 27, Seemingly designed to Catch Crab Pots. And the FIX!

Nov 24, 2015
Hunter 27 Middle River
This is my 2nd H27, and in the crab pot infested waters of the Chesapeake I've found myself guiltily dreaming of a Pacific Seacraft or Island Packet full keeled boat with an enclosed prop.
The H27 has a uniquely configured Rudder/Prop setup, where the two are so close together that crap pot buoys cannot clear the space when a line gets run over and pulled through. It seems to happen to me when I sail or power, so I had to think of something other than a new boat, since I love and enjoy her so much. I really expend a lot of attention and focus attempting to miss these crab pots, but I seem to fail on 70% of my trips. Same old thing- my speed inexplicably drops from 5.5kts to 2.6kts. Ugh, not again!
Here's what I devised- A steel line attached to the hull and the base of the rudder. It has enough slack to handle left/right excursion of the rudder, and was made fairly light to minimize drag and serve the function of allowing the crab pot lines to pass by the prop and rudder. The tension shouldn't be much more than is caused by the bouyancy of the crab pot float, hopefully. Some transom eyes and screws, some 3M 5200, some 1/16 SS wire rope, and some SS crimp lugs (had to find online). Total cost was about $40. I'm actually going to upsize the line to 5/32, bottom paint it, and install heat shrink over the crimps to reduce the snag factor.
I hope this alleviates someone else's frustrations.I had spent so much time unsnagging lines I was on the verge of giving up on these waters. That includes the less that fun trips over the side. Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

Last edited:

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Wont that interfere with the travel of the rudder?

Nov 24, 2015
Hunter 27 Middle River
See OP. " It has enough slack to handle left/right excursion of the rudder," I had to be mindful to leave that slack so the rudder could still move, but still make it as snug as I could otherwise so that it wouldn't come close to the spinning prop when powering. My guess is there's at least about 8" or a foot to spare. I probably could have even made it a bit tighter. It's an experiment at this stage, as she's still on the hard.

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
I know nothing about crab or lobster (other than I enjoy eating them) traps but i'm wondering if you can smooth out the crimp at the rudder end? That might allow for the line to slide by without hanging up.

Nov 24, 2015
Hunter 27 Middle River
Don,
I thought about that once I saw the picture. From the OP: "I'm actually going to upsize the line to 5/32, bottom paint it, and install heat shrink over the crimps to reduce the snag factor." It is probably smart to add an extra crimp or two on the ends, maybe burying the bitter end in the last crimp. You know, the old if one is good, more are better approach. All those splayed ends of the wire rope look like they're just waiting to snag on something, don't they? Good catch Don, I appreciate any help offered.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
if you can get the rudder attachment point directly in line with the rudder post, there will be no change in tension while turning.

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
I'm not sure how much load is on the cable when a trap is caught but I might be worried about the rudder end being pulled out. Then you would have your own cable wrapped around the prop:soapbox:

Nov 24, 2015
Hunter 27 Middle River
Unfortunately, the axis of the rudder post is forward of the leading edge of the (lower part of ) rudder, attaching it at the intersection of the two would put that line uncomfortably close to the prop. I figure the small bit of slack probably won't do much harm. I've had semi tight wire rope under-hull lines before, like on my old swing keel boats. They can hum pretty loud sometimes. Not all bad, it drowns out the voices in my head.....

Nov 24, 2015
Hunter 27 Middle River
Re: the rudder end pulling out- I spent many sleepless, shivering nights prognosticating the demise of my prop when considering that. I did the best I could, and used 3" long, #10 screws. They're installed nearly perpendicular to the loading too, which I hope helps. I'm not all that worried about a crab line overstressing that line, but I wonder if a submerged chunk of junk impacts it what'll happen then? Guess I'll just calmly and artfully hand sail her smoothly back into her slip. Okay then......

May 7, 2013
Hunter 37 Cutter Deltaville
Cool idea. My only concern is where do the straps go when you get hauled in or out of the water? I know with my 37 that would be right where one sling would go in order to lift her up.

Nov 24, 2015
Hunter 27 Middle River
No problem with this vessel. The aft sling strap is positioned about 2 ft. in front of where the forward eye is attached to the hull.
I considered a line between the aft lower corner of the keel and the rudder, but discarded the idea because it would require a dive for removal prior to being hauled out and another dive to reinstall in the spring.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Genius Time !! :pray::pray:
Are you planning a test run?
Looks like it should work.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I have been lucky so far,, haven't caught a trap with my H27. Your idea is intriguing. I just finished a project installing dyneema lifelines and wonder if dyneema could be used for your crab pot line instead of ss wire. The connections would be spliced and smooth.
Next time you go sailing, you will have fun trying to snag crab pots to prove the system. Let us know how it turns out.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I love it. It is a far simpler solution than one I would devise. That means it will most likely work.

Sometimes, it isn't always bad to catch a crab pot20180219_143601.jpg 20180219_143614.jpg. We found this one had been dragging behind us for about 5 miles before we discovered it. YUM!

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I think the rule is, if you don't know how to return it to where the owner can find it, you are obligated to release the catch into a pot in your galley.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Lobster traps are the same Deal.
When being prepped for our solos on Hurricane Island Outward Bound, we were warned never to eat lobster. They said, "If a lobster crawls up on the beach and offers to jump into your pot, throw him back. Because, if a lobsterman comes by when you are feasting on a lobster, he is going to assume you raided his trap and shoot you."

-Will (Dragonfly)

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Hunter 82? 37 Cutter Wherever the wind takes me
Well I can tell you I was the king of snagging pots, and the whole string on occasion with my 27. Last year i snagged them 5 times... My dock neighbors gave me a little trophy which is now hanging in my 37. I had the record two years running. Which marina are you at in Middle River? I am at Maryland Marina.

Sep 12, 2011
Hunter 27 Annapolis
I love it. It is a far simpler solution than one I would devise. That means it will most likely work.

Sometimes, it isn't always bad to catch a crab potView attachment 148677 View attachment 148678. We found this one had been dragging behind us for about 5 miles before we discovered it. YUM!

-Will (Dragonfly)
So you decided to poach and steal a professional's catch which he makes his living on? Do you have any idea how hard they work. Up at 3am working 6 days a week.
Good one!