83 oday 28 fuel tank replacement

May 24, 2011
Oday 28 Windmill Harbor Hilton Head, SC
Hello,

well today i got a suprise when i opened the boat, a strong smell of diesel. Looked in the bilge and it was full of fuel. Tha bilge pump had been busy, i was just out sailing last sunday with no issues. Must be a small stress crack, cant really see anything I could see a small leak trickeling odown toward the bilge. Think its on the fwd rh side of the tank and fought it for 6 hours but i got the tank out and the bilge cleaned.

It was an aluminum 18 gallon tank with no id tag.

Does anybody have any suggestions on a replacement tank?

Moeller?

Think i might get a 15 gallon unit because it was a pain getting this thing out,

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
We had a custom aluminum replacement tank made at our marina. We had it made somewhat lower than the original so that we could get it back in. On ours, it seemed to fail on the bottom where a copper bonding wire was running and touching the aluminum. You may want to check that the area is clear to lengthen the life of the tank (although we can't really complain with the original durability).

Jun 28, 2009
1984 O'Day 28 Bath, NC
Went down that road a couple years ago a faint smell of diesel in the bilge, discovered a pin hole in the bottom of the tank. After the pain staking removal of the tank, I found a local welding shop that cut a few inches off the bottom of the tank, cleaned it and welded on a new bottom. The shorter tank made it much easier to install and all the hose connections fit right back. Lost about 4 gallons capacity but that has its benefits. I think there are a few pic's in my profile of the tank after the cut. My tank has a tag, Florida Marine Tanks. I checked with them when I was looking for a tank, the wait time to build and the cost steered me in a different direction. I'm happy with my choice.

May 24, 2011
WHAT A MAJOR PAIN THIS WAS! I removed the old 18 gallon tank last weekend and installed a slightly smaller 15 gallon poly tank this weekend. I also removed all the older wooden structure and used all new aluminum angle for new mounting support. Next weekend i will put some fuel in and se how it goes.

Attachments

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I share your pain. Replaced my tank last year. Interesting approach to use the aluminum. I made a wood frame and used a fein style tool to sculpt the bottom to fit the hull then epoxied it in place. So far it works well and the poly tank has nice clean out openings in the top to pump it dry and polish the fuel. These tanks are pretty cheap and can be easily replaced though you'll probably never need to.

Coyote

Sep 30, 2008
Hunter 30T Madeira Beach, Florida
Hey Euphoria -
I sent you an email this morning, I HAVE to go through the same replacement process -- arrrggghhh!
can you tell me exactly what tank you bought - from where?
and how is this NEW poly tank working out for you!!! any diesel smell in the cabin?

Thank You Sir!
cheers,
Coyote

May 24, 2011
Didnt get an email, but i bought the moeller 15 gallon model number 032515.
It was 3 gallons less than the original tank but not to bad to maneuver into place.
The diesel smell was bad at first but i cleaned the bilge 3 or 4 times, wiped all the surfaces that were coated with fuel and removed all the cushions for a air out,
No issues so far other that the tank sending unit that came on the tank is not what i would have installed but fuel level is visible now from just looking at the tank rather that the aluminum tank as before
Bought from amazon

Coyote

Sep 30, 2008
Thank you for the assist!
I'd assume you would recommend this tank as a replacement,
based on cost, quality, ease of install, etc.??

best regards,
Coyote

May 24, 2011
I would yes, but you might have to redo the supporting structure due to size variations

Coyote

Sep 30, 2008
Decided to go with a NEW, Aluminum tank, a bit smaller at 14 gallons.
ALL things considered, a more cost effective way to deal with the issue than a plastic replacement.

another project DONE! more work to be done

cheers,
Coyote

Attachments

DYFLWD

Feb 20, 2016
Oday 28 Lake Texoma
Decided to go with a NEW, Aluminum tank, a bit smaller at 14 gallons.
ALL things considered, a more cost effective way to deal with the issue than a plastic replacement.

another project DONE! more work to be done

cheers,
Coyote
I also have to replace my tank on my 28 but not because it is leaking. The wood support is rotted and the battery mounts has collapsed so I want to replace all the wood structure. Thought I should replace old tank with a plastic one. Coyote, any reason you went with a aluminum tank instead? and what type and where did you purchase? Thanks for the input.

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
I went with a Moeller tank and new wood frame. I preferred the plastic for ease of removal for future cleaning and price. All related problems have been resolved. Smells went away soon after the cleanout without any special products. We didn't find the pinhole leak until well after the old aluminum tank was removed. My story is at the link below and I'm sticking to it...
http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/fuel-in-the-bilge.165363/#post-1166740