'83 H27 - Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul R. Mitchell

Now that we've had Dilemma for a season now and we're beginning to make a list of boat projects for the Winter and Spring commisioning. We'd appreciate any advice/hints from others who have implemented any of these. The following list isn't an any specific order of priority. 1. Dodger - Looking to install a soft dodger. 2. Traveler - Definitely needed. a. Where should it be located? Mid-boom forward of the dodger? End-boom forward of the pedestal? b. Who's traveler did you install and comments on quality? 3. Binnacle Guard and Cockpit Table. Looking to install an Edson binnacle guard and a teak folding table. Does the Edson guard fit a Yacht Specialties pedestal or will we need to fabricate abracket? 4. Cockpit Grating/Slats - T-shaped cockpit. We have a few others, such as replacing the large opening port lenses, etc. but these have been covered extensively. Thanks, Paul & Karen s/v Dilemma

P

Pete

Traveler location

For what it's worth I prefer the traveler forward of the dodger,rather than at the end of the boom only because it is out of the way and there are no lines to get tangled up in. The travler lines are still easy to use thur the dodger.

T

TOM.M.

WHAT COMES FIRST

The best thing to do is to determine the perirhery of the dodger, the placement of the traveler and it's block arangement and sheeting operation is next, I designed, built a partial hard daoger with slide out lexan smoked windoaws, the i elected to just move my main sheet cabin top blocks outward and foward and added a 4 to 1 boom vang, not repositioning my boom bales, the Edison cast alum. yoke that holds the inverted "U" shaped s/s/ tubing fits fairly well under the binicle you have to drill four mounting holes in the fuel/shift base plate, lot of luck on your projects, oh you can't mount a travler at the end of the boom, the starboard lazerette door will prevent this type of application, if you had a bridgedeck which would reduce your companionway size approx. 40% you coud mount it there, I do, but you don't. In the past 6 years i've added over a 100 projects to my Hunter 27'

T

TOM.M.

AFTER THE BIG ONES ARE DONE

If You're winterizing your boat, You should consider ventilation, this can be achieved with two fwd dorades with 3" cowls, located in the head, a few inches past the fwd bulkhead, and a large (6"x6") square louvered gill in your companionway upper board, I know your boat has 8 opening ports, but they have to be attended to, dorades and cowls don't need any, the solar panel ones don't last and you're out $200. for the pair, dorades can be fabricated from 1/2" thk ply then GLASSED! bondo'd and painted, and they'll last as long as you have the boat, mildew and mold are pretty nasty stuff anjd you need air to circulate to prevent it. about the teak cockpit grate, save your money,

S

Steve Weisbrod

best value dodger

The best place I've found to get a dodger is to order one from Overton's. You can check them out at www.overtons.com I've purchased 3 from them so far (one for each sailboat I've had) and the service & quality are excellant. I get a bimini wide enough to fit across the entire cockpit and mount it to a slider track just inside the toe-rail. I just replaced the lg port lenses on our H27. You can buy them direct from Pompanette (www.pompanette.com) for $50 each. They come in clear or tinted lexan. I bought the tinted and they look nice. In the process of installing my new ones I found that the little bent piece on the end of the springs that hold the lenses open seemed to get caught between the lense hinge and the frame when you closed the port (they were out of the way with the port open put slide into the frame as you closed the port). I cut about 1/4" off the bent part of the spring ... that solved the problem. The spring being in the way MAY be why so many of those ports have the hinge fail (??) Let us know what your traveler solution is... I need to do that too.

J

Jim Rice

Binnacle Woes

Yacht Specialties is gone, gone, gone. Edson says they can sell us H-27 owners a new binnacle for about $300 (price as of this spring, got it right from an edson rep). Good news, compasses that will fit a YS binnacle will fit E., the two companies agreed on this (same source). This will solve your bin. problems. I couldn't fit a traveller to our H27--you have to go thru the headliner to mount it, btw. Have read that a good vang will hold the boom down when running off--it did so on my Southcoast 22. Instead of the cockpit slats, which have to be fitted around the binnacle, etc., we used Interlux exterior paint and non-skid (silca) additive. It doesn't look as kewl as slats, but much cheaper and easier. Good luck and let us know how everything went. We could use the hints, too!

D

Dick Litchfield

Been there

I have a 81 h27 and I have completed these projects. 1. Harken traveler system on the cabin top spanning the companionway (mid boom sheeting). Had mounts fabricated from SS and they are bolted into Hunter's embedded aluminum plates in the cabin top.(Little known fact is plates these are aircraft grade alum plates imbedded by Hunter just for bolting things down without having to mess with the cabin liner). Adjustments to main sheet are easy now, the mainsail can be held on center and boat points better. 2. Pedestal Guard. I have a Edson wheel so naturally the guard is Edson. It was a real struggle to get the top of the binnacale off to install the plate, but other than that it has been a great addition to the boat. A table is planned next year. If you'd like more info on the traveler, email me.

Status
Not open for further replies.